Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS Where do I put my thumb? Seriously.

PRS Where do I put my thumb? Seriously.

I have been thinking about playing in the precision rifle series. As I think about mechanics of the precision bolt action rifle and do some research, it seems there are two camps. Camp one is grip it similarly to pistol and AR. Camp two is place thumb on same side as trigger finger. Recommendations please.
    A wise man told me that "only hits count" is the one truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Drdan View Post
    I have been thinking about playing in the precision rifle series. As I think about mechanics of the precision bolt action rifle and do some research, it seems there are two camps. Camp one is grip it similarly to pistol and AR. Camp two is place thumb on same side as trigger finger. Recommendations please.
    I recommend you try both and decide for yourself. Neither is correct or incorrect, both have plusses and minuses. Doing > reading/researching/thinking

Things to look for:
    1. Ease of cycling the bolt
    2. Effects of trigger press on reticle alignment

I know that sounds like a non-answer, and that's because I'm less doctrinarian than most.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-05-2019 at 08:15 AM.

I'm part of "Camp 2" because I have short fingers and it allows me to get my trigger finger into a position to pull straight back.

I was taught to grip a traditional stock rifle like you shoot a pistol or AR and only changed my grip after watching some other shooters do it. I found it worked better for me.

As @Alpha Sierra stated, you'll have to give each a shot and see how it works for you.

If you’re prone or at a bench, it probably doesn’t matter. At a barricade, where you need to maneuver the gun before and after the shot, I bet you’ll find that one works a lot better. (Grip the gun normally).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

FWIW my precision rifles are all in KRG 180-Xray chassis and I rest my right thumb on the thumb shelf. It makes no difference to my trigger control, but it makes a huge difference to how fast I can cycle the action.

I shoot that way prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, off barricades, chairs, stools, stepladders, and tree limbs.

I run my thumb on the right side of the stock (right handed) when shooting precision rifles. I'll do it on an AR as well if I'm shooting prone off of a bipod. Like the poster above, I've found it helps me press straight back with less disturbance of the reticle. Give it a shot and see what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm in Camp 3. No AR type pistol grips or thumbhole stocks on a bolt action rifle because they interfere with the natural operation of the bolt.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I think it depends on the stock and the caliber.

When I was shooting an Accuracy International AT in .308 extensively I got my best accuracy shooting wrapping my thumb around the back of the pistol grip. I think the .308 recoil exploited the weakness in the grip when I tried to float the thumb on the side. The rifle also had a different point of impact if I gripped too loosely.

I am now shooting a heavy barrel .224 Valkyrie AR15 and the recoil is significantly less. I can do better with a light hold on that gun, minmizing my influence on it when I press the trigger.

One of the key things about the grip is it has to be neutral, meaning it does not disturb your sight picture even if you were to apply more grip pressure or were to pull the rifle tighter into the shoulder. The reticle should stay on target regardless, otherwise your technique won't allow you to be as consistent in various shooting positions/conditions.

It depends. There is no universal answer.

When prone or in an otherwise stable position, you could run your thumb along the side. When shooting at long range (say, beyond your bullet's supersonic flight) even the slightest error or disturbance will play out big. The sympathetic clenching of your hand when you pull the trigger could be enough to send your rounds off target.

If shooting off barricades, shooting sticks, or other improvised positions, and at medium range (still inside the bullet's supersonic flight range), the added control of actually gripping the pistol grip could be beneficial and the error is less likely to actually have an impact.

You just have to think about it and experiment with it.
    Last edited by jellydonut; 02-06-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    It depends. There is no universal answer.

When prone or in an otherwise stable position, you could run your thumb along the side. When shooting at long range (say, beyond your bullet's supersonic flight) even the slightest error or disturbance will play out big. The sympathetic clenching of your hand when you pull the trigger could be enough to send your rounds off target.

If shooting off barricades, shooting sticks, or other improvised positions, and at medium range (still inside the bullet's supersonic flight range), the added control of actually gripping the pistol grip could be beneficial and the error is less likely to actually have an impact.

You just have to think about it and experiment with it.
    I think this is overthought to a huge degree. One can learn to press the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing the sights regardless of where one lays the firing hand thumb.

In my experience manipulating the bolt quickly and efficiently without wildly disturbing the lay of the rifle is easier to do with the firing hand thumb resting on something solid on the same side as the bolt handle. Others may disagree based on their experience.

When shooting from less than perfectly stable supports sometimes it pays to grip the rifle harder by the pistol grip and sometimes it pays to exert less force on the rifle overall. It depends on how rickety the support is, and to a lesser degree how good you are. And then you can use a sling to pull the rifle into you in any number of different ways when shooting from a barricade.

I'll go back to my original advice to try all combinations and see what works best for the individual

LOL I think we're saying the same thing
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-06-2019 at 07:23 AM.

User Tag List