Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I just threw up a little in my mouth, the taurus 617

I suspect that all of us who had experience with Taurus guns from the '80s appreciated their much higher level of QC back then as compared to their guns since the advent of the new millenium.

I had considerable experience with their copy of the Beretta 92 (borrowed), and owned a stainless .38 Special Model 85 back then.
    Both guns were very well finished with respect to machining. Both guns were accurate and acceptably precise. Both functioned without issues of any kind.
    The number of models Taurus offered was limited, most of them copies of S&W revolvers, but given the guns' high quality, they represented a genuine bargain.

Obviously something important changed, and for the worse.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am having a difficult time figuring out what a short barrel 7 shot .357 magnum does better than something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obviously nothing better than a 2" 7 shot 686. Except almost half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Obviously nothing better than a 2" 7 shot 686. Except almost half the price.
    And at 1/10th the reliability.

Just test fired this used M17 Tracker. Never expect standards, let alone quality, with Taurus.

"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    Should anyone be bored, I urge him(or her)to lurk on the T website.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Just test fired this used M17 Tracker. Never expect standards, let alone quality, with Taurus.

wow.

How was the accuracy?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    That's just breathtaking. Even for Taurus. Jeeze...

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    wow.

How was the accuracy?
    Unknown, this was a function fire only.

Once upon a time (decades ago), the model 85 was a very decent revolver, and the very early PT92 were also pretty good pistols. IIRC, some springs were less durable than the Beretta, but the locking pieces lasted longer.

The decline in quality has been going on and on for a looong time now. They were in a very tight financial situation not long ago.

User Tag List