Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Streamlight 870 / 590 forearm light

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I put one on a 500, no problem.

Attachment 50143
    Perfect! That’s exactly what I needed, thank you.

I went through a fast 25 rounds of full-on 00 buck with it tonight.

A few notes:

I was worried the lower grip position might have an effect on push/pull technique. I did not notice any difference. I did not try shooting from a short-stock position, though -- will have to do that next time out.

I end up putting skateboard tape on every forearm eventually. I'll probably do the same to this but the "grippability" without tape was not awful. I found it better than the un-taped Magpul forearm.

The switch is really clever and instinctive for me. However, if you want to do a quick momentary flash, you may not like it. A quick momentary press creates a constant on.

It's a bit of a reach to the switch on the finger side but the thumb side was easy. I like that the switches on both sides are even.

Did I mention the switch was really instinctive?

A lockout would be nice. I put the gun in a soft case for the drive. When I opened it at the range, the light was on. Unscrewing the battery cap a little acts like a lockout. It's also a pain.

The battery cap seems a little flimsy but anything thicker/heavier would probably make the forearm ride even lower. It looks like Streamlight was really trying to keep the profile low.

I like the snag-free shape. In that regard, it is absolutely an improvement over the Magpul/rail/clamp/Surefire setup I had before.

It feels a bit lighter than the Magpul/Surefire combination. The light switch is way easier to find and operate. I didn't have to alter my grip to work the light.

I did not have any issues operating the gun with the forearm -- no short stroking or other problems.

The brightness and shape of the beam were perfectly fine for my purposes.
    Last edited by Edster; 03-18-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    For those using these in the field on a duty shotgun, how are you seeing the beam pattern affected by shadow from the barrel/magazine extension? We've got one for T&E on the range, but none in the field with feedback. Just sent in an order for 15 of them in orange to put on some of our less-lethal shotguns, to get some feedback, but if anyone has been running one on an LE shotgun In the field, I'd be interested.

Bumping- I'm seeing the TL Racker for ~135-140 bucks. I've got 2 old Laser Products Corp/Surefire forends that have been hanging around waiting for me to upgrade the lights on them. On the one hand, if I just get two of these, I'll still have 2 old dedicated forearm lights taking up space, on the other hand... What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Bumping- I'm seeing the TL Racker for ~135-140 bucks. I've got 2 old Laser Products Corp/Surefire forends that have been hanging around waiting for me to upgrade the lights on them. On the one hand, if I just get two of these, I'll still have 2 old dedicated forearm lights taking up space, on the other hand... What do you all think?
    FWIW, I have one of the older TL Rackers, and do not like the ergos one bit. So, if you're looking to unload one of those old Laser Products forends...

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I have a very early non-LED SureFire on another shotgun. Honestly, other than it being way too slick and a little heavy, I never understood why they needed to "improve" it.

If they put an LED head on the original, provided some grip tape, and re-released it as a "Classic Plus" model at the same price point as the TL-Racker, I would be in for one.

My opinion: I'm not in a hurry to replace the SureFire I have now, even if it is something like 15 years old. The only reason I would have to do it is consistency of controls.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-17-2020 at 10:25 PM.

User Tag List