Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clinch Pik vs Other Piks

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Agreed though one small point of contention: I have a couple of Ban's Super CPs and the handle is exactly the same size as the regular CP.
    Mine is 1/8 inch or so longer, as is the one my student had
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Mine is 1/8 inch or so longer, as is the one my student had
    My Mk I eyeball has seen better days but I think there isn't even 1/8" difference here:

Name:  IMG_3025.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3026.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3027.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3028.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  29.0 KB

I wish I had gotten a longer handled Super CP. :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I’ll add something to Cecil’s point about RE knife use and going for a tradition Forward Edge design. If you intend your fixed blade to be a utility tool in any sense, go with a traditional blade. I know some folks find the Clinch Pick to be a good utility tool, I am not one of them. The design is very purpose driven and I don’t find it useful as a utility tool pretty much at all. I solve this problem by using the CP as a dedicated defense tool and carry a folding knife for utility purposes. But if you’re going “one knife for everything” approach, then pick a more traditional blade.
    While a reverse edge is not ideal for most utility purposes, I would argue that the blade shape and setup of a Clinch Pick is perfect if you need to work the tip of the blade between a person you do not want to cut and an object that needs to be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Not much to add that others havent covered, only better. But so long as we are discussing other pikal designs, I’ll leave this guy’s site here:
    https://halloranknives.com/pikal

I just picked up his "short pikal;" same < 3.5 blade, but with a half inch less on the handle. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Not much to add that others havent covered, only better. But so long as we are discussing other pikal designs, I’ll leave this guy’s site here:

I just picked up his "short pikal;" same < 3.5 blade, but with a half inch less on the handle. FWIW.
    Looking forward to my first Halloran. Should have an STX in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I’ll add something to Cecil’s point about RE knife use and going for a tradition Forward Edge design. If you intend your fixed blade to be a utility tool in any sense, go with a traditional blade. I know some folks find the Clinch Pick to be a good utility tool, I am not one of them. The design is very purpose driven and I don’t find it useful as a utility tool pretty much at all. I solve this problem by using the CP as a dedicated defense tool and carry a folding knife for utility purposes. But if you’re going “one knife for everything” approach, then pick a more traditional blade.
    A CP or any other blade for defensive purposes would be for just that: defensive purposes. I carry a folder for every day utility tool purposes. I find it easier to have a dedicated tool rather than trying to press something into something that it's not meant for.

I've been following him ever since his postings on LF so I'll have to take a good long look at his pikal design as I have always loved his tuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    I've been following him ever since his postings on LF so I'll have to take a good long look at his pikal design as I have always loved his tuff.
    I’ll see if I can snap a pic with both custom/production CPs and a folder or two for size comparison when the weekend comes.

There’s also this Tony Lopes fellow to look into; I know absolutely nothing about him, myself, but Craig was showing off a few Lopes RE knives on his IG feed, and I certainly trust Craig’s judgement. Tony also answers emails plenty fast, considering the time difference from France, or wherever he’s at.

Check out the ‘nosferatu’ or the ‘skeleton...’

https://www.tonylopesblades.com
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’ll see if I can snap a pic with both custom/production CPs and a folder or two for size comparison when the weekend comes.

There’s also this Tony Lopes fellow to look into; I know absolutely nothing about him, myself, but Craig was showing off a few Lopes RE knives on his IG feed, and I certainly trust Craig’s judgement. Tony also answers emails plenty fast, considering the time difference from France, or wherever he’s at.

Check out the ‘nosferatu’ or the ‘skeleton...’

https://www.tonylopesblades.com
    Both the skeleton and Nossie look fantastic. I'm a nerd and I'll have to say I'm biased towards the Nossie for nerd reasons but also taking a look at it from a practical standpoint, I like the finger notch cut out in the handle quite a bit. Now, just have to figure out the conversion rate and shipping as well as get the funds...and pack more funds away to get to an edged weapon course.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    Both the skeleton and Nossie look fantastic. I'm a nerd and I'll have to say I'm biased towards the Nossie for nerd reasons but also taking a look at it from a practical standpoint, I like the finger notch cut out in the handle quite a bit. Now, just have to figure out the conversion rate and shipping as well as get the funds...and pack more funds away to get to an edged weapon course.
    Yeah, the name is just, no pun intended, killer. I think that one came to 280, shipped to the US, IIRC (I asked)?

Say, I see that you’re in Idaho? I realize that there’s a big drive between the south and the panhandle, but Craig is teaching his EWO class in Cd’A the weekend of Mar 2&3, and there might be a slot left. You won’t find a better teacher than Craig, or a nicer/more civil training group than the folks who I know are registered.

Except me. I can be a real pain in the ass... just ask any college dean.

At any rate, if you feel like making the trip, there are plenty of cheap hotels, great food, and friends to be made. Plus, "shivworks ‘edged weapon overview’..."

http://shivworks.com/edged-weapon-overview/

Just saying.

User Tag List