Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow

I second the recommendation to avoid Omega-6. Cut out all the veg/seed oils....that stuff is poison. I saw some interesting research awhile ago that the prevalence of torn ACL may be greater in large part because of dietary changes (specifically modern industrial veg/seed oils).

Eat meat.

At 43, and lifting heavier than ever, my joints, muscle and connective tissues have never been so good since (been largely carnivore for several months now)

Don't have much to say about physical therapy, but am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I second the recommendation to avoid Omega-6. Cut out all the veg/seed oils....that stuff is poison. I saw some interesting research awhile ago that the prevalence of torn ACL may be greater in large part because of dietary changes (specifically modern industrial veg/seed oils).

Eat meat.

At 43, and lifting heavier than ever, my joints, muscle and connective tissues have never been so good since (been largely carnivore for several months now)

Don't have much to say about physical therapy, but am interested.
    Well, there goes his Fireclean intake
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, there goes his Fireclean intake
    #youvebeenwarned

I suffered from tennis elbow so bad that i couldn’t pull the trigger on a j-frame without extreme pain. I fixed it through about 2 months of physical therapy. The PT consisted of breaking down scar tissue, stretching, and then a series of exercises to strengthen the hand, forearm, and upper arm muscles. The exercises started with virtually no weight and then increased over time. It took patience and a commitment to the exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    btw: at 48 you don't "win" a pull up bet even if you take home the cash.
    You don't at 28, either. It's just that you don't notice the damage as much. At 50+ you won't even think about entering.

Maybe i'll just hit one of my middle toes with a hammer.
    That'll relieve my elbow pain without the pesky side effects of a blown out back.

Good plan!
    Bad plan, bad plan. A toe on my left foot hurts like hell because reasons I no longer remember, if I ever knew.

My answer to every injury is to keep working whatever doesn't hurt. I had a bit of tennis elbow coming on, so I did DIY PT (thanks YouTube) and laid off whatever hurt it. Eventually it went away and something else started hurting.

Welcome to middle age.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

So to dump my winge-and-whine on your thread, I have it bad in my right elbow plus golfer's elbow in both and a nice helping of brachioradialis pain on my right side. It's an overall mess.

Honestly, I've given up shooting entirely to give it some rest. I've found that a combination of the proper stretches, PT exercises, ice/heat and NSAIDs will go a long way to start the healing process, and a single aggressive workout will set most of it back immediately. I have to be careful with simple things like shaking hands and lifting weights to my sides that historically have been taken for granted.

My ortho doc originally injected both sides with cortisone which provided immediate but temporary relief (~ 3-4 months). There are of course mixed opinions as to whether or not those shots will do damage longer term, but had I rested and pursued aggressive PT during that short window of relief I may have healed most of this.

Please do share here once you find your way through it.

Site Supporter
    I did PRP last March for my left wrist and right elbow. It worked wonder for my elbow. It helped my wrist to some degree but not as well as the elbow. The tendinitis in my elbow was gone I’m a week or two. Very please with it and will do it again.

https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    My wife and I have both had good success with floss bands.

https://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands
    "Voodoo floss" has been mentioned more than once, but after watching the brief video at the link, I'm a little lost on what you're supposed to do with them and how they work. Does anyone have a decent source for more info?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Is it your strong side or the other side that's affected?

Tennis elbow sucks.
    Other than wearing a brace, NSAID's, ice and torquing on a therapy bar anyone have a miracle cure?
    btw: at 48 you don't "win" a pull up bet
    As someone else here said, welcome to middle age. Had it bad a few years ago. Don’t know the cause, but shooting certainly didn’t help. Wore a forearm strap to help relieve pain so I could at least write and type, lawyer after all. But, nothing but time (about 5 or 6 months) helped in the end. Saw a Sports Doc who had a great plan: don’t do anything that causes more irritation (don’t do anything that hurts). No magic cure to my knowledge. I got better after I finally gave in and took the Dr’s advice.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List