Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Maybe i'll just hit one of my middle toes with a hammer.
    That'll relieve my elbow pain without the pesky side effects of a blown out back.

Good plan!
    My dad's solution, when I was a kid and would complain about pain was, "Well, I can hit you someplace else, that'll fix you." (I'm afraid this says a lot about my upbringing).

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    It's overused brah. Just like shin splints you gotta bite the bullet and back off on the abuse a bit.
    Right?

@JodyH switch hands - "The Stranger" has appeal to it.

Three-pound dumbell, was my prescription. Do mucho reps of wrist curls, to thoroughly warm-up the muscles and tendon, then very seriously and thoroughly s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I added plenty of self-massage of the area. Worked for me. It does take a while; really, just keep this as part of the workout routine, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Oddly enough the majority of kettlebell exercises don't make it hurt, but handgun shooting and pouring coffee do.
    If pronating the wrist irritates your elbow area, then the problem may be a pronator/supinator issue. Kettlebells not a lot of demand on the supinators/pronators, other than snatches. BJJ, pullups, pouring coffee, shooting a handgun all require a lot of wrist pronation/supination. If that's the case tennis elbow exercises probably aren't a full step in the right direction.

http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/exercise/Default.aspx
    Body Part "hand & wrist"
    Movement "supination" or "pronation"

I liked voodoo floss for temporary relief. I’d do three rounds of wrist roller to get a pump and then flossing to push all the blood out. Absolutely miserable, but a solid 24 hours of relief. Then I bought a Sport Grips #3 wrist twister and discovered how big of an imbalance I had between my wrist flexors and extensors. Unlike a wrist roller with the Sport Grips the extensors and flexors get worked at the same time and equally. I thought I was doing a good job balancing them on the wrist roller, but in hindsight I was probably putting a lot of lat and serratus into it. It was a solid month of work to get my extensors caught up with the flexors.

https://www.sportgrips.com/shop

Hasn’t been a cure all, but getting things balanced out has been significant and lasting improvement. I'm not advocating $140 toys are the only solution, but it's a good tool because it forces a balance.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    If you listen to Chad Reilly's interview (he's the same guy that wrote the program that GJM and others have referenced above), I get the impression that he recommends that stopping is counter productive long term, since you do not address the underlying root cause. I think his argument makes sense, but I am not a doctor or PT though, so what he says could be wrong.
    No doubt long term, but it can't strengthen up properly if it's all fucked up and crippled to begin with. Once it's healed a bit for sure, work the flexbar and weights and whatever needs doing.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I went through 3x rounds of autologous blood injections trying to address my tennis elbow. My Dr. has had an 80% success rate with this treatment. Unfortunately I was in the 20%...a couple months of PT got it bearable and I’m doing strength exercises and stretches now that seem to be keeping the pain at a dull roar.

Two bone grafts and nine surgeries helped my elbow pain.
    #RESIST

My elbow pain was so bad, I started off with 2.5 pound dumbbells doing the reverse curl exercises. I now use 15, or even 20 pounders if I am feeling frisky. My wife did the same program with equally god results.

Jody, if you decide you have to quit shooting, I will gives you ten cents on the dollar for your VP9 and G19X pistols. Maybe the HK .308 too.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    No doubt long term, but it can't strengthen up properly if it's all fucked up and crippled to begin with. Once it's healed a bit for sure, work the flexbar and weights and whatever needs doing.
    Agreed, one has to be smart about knowing when they're sore versus truly injured. I think a combination of regular stretching and GJM's recommendation of starting with low weights to just get consistent can likely build the needed tendon strength over time for those in the former camp.

This is the only thing that has worked for me to cure my tennis/shooters elbow.
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

When I had shooters elbow a year or so ago (not caused by shooting too much, that's for sure), I found this and it worked very well after a week or two of doing the exercises. Didn't have pain for quite a while. It has come back recently and I am already getting past it by doing the exercises regularly.
    Last edited by Irelander; 02-04-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jody, if you decide you have to quit shooting, I will gives you ten cents on the dollar for your VP9 and G19X pistols. Maybe the HK .308 too.
    That's the kind of moral support I was looking for.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List