Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow

Tennis elbow

Tennis elbow sucks.
    Other than wearing a brace, NSAID's, ice and torquing on a therapy bar anyone have a miracle cure?
    Doc did not recommend Cortisone because of its long term effects, he did give me a steroid prescription that didn't really do anything better than Ibuprofen (other than I gained 6 pounds in the week I was on it).
    I've been dealing with this since before Thanksgiving and it has really cut into my shooting, I have to spend two days recovering after any trip to the range.
    Jiu Jitsu and boxing are completely out of the question.
    Oddly enough the majority of kettlebell exercises don't make it hurt, but handgun shooting and pouring coffee do.

I may have to switch to PCC and carbine for a while and put down the handgun.

btw: at 48 you don't "win" a pull up bet even if you take home the cash.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-04-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

You gotta take a break.

Practice SHO/WHO shooting for a while.

https://armaid.com/

Have you had a chance to try one of these, kneading with a lacrosse ball into the meaty areas around and in the fold of the elbow, and other forms of self-massage?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Two things that have honestly helped me with epicondylitis over the years:

BandIT

IronMind Bands

Working the extensors of the forearm which are often neglected in relation to the flexors makes a huge difference in my experience.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

I started experiencing elbow problems a couple years ago and stumbled across this over on the Enos forums. It works great for me if I up the weight each set and I have to do them every day. If I miss 2 days in a row the pain returns.

Hammertime
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-tennis-elbow

Good thread above.

My opinion: everyone gets it, no treatment has proved superior to placebo, it goes away on its own, but can take 18 mo to do so.

I'm already doing a lot of those exercises with my Flexbar or during my kettlebell routine.
    I'll probably add some lying tricep extensions with my large diameter medicine ball.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have had this, my wife has had this, and virtually every serious shooter I know has suffered from this. The reverse dumbbell exercises described in this article completely fixed this for me, and I remember zero elbow pain in the last 2 or 3 years, despite shooting high round counts. The guy in this link developed these exercises for Rob Leatham.

https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    My wife and I have both had good success with floss bands. Wrap the joint as tight as you can stand and move it through its range of motion. I am not 100% sure of the mechanics of why it works, something like more blood rushing through the inflamed area, but a strength coach with chronic tennis elbow recommended them, and you'll see lots of tennis elbow references in the product reviews.

https://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Tennis elbow sucks.
    Other than wearing a brace, NSAID's, ice and torquing on a therapy bar anyone have a miracle cure?
    Doc did not recommend Cortisone because of its long term effects, he did give me a steroid prescription that didn't really do anything better than Ibuprofen (other than I gained 6 pounds in the week I was on it).
    I've been dealing with this since before Thanksgiving and it has really cut into my shooting, I have to spend two days recovering after any trip to the range.
    Jiu Jitsu and boxing are completely out of the question.
    Oddly enough the majority of kettlebell exercises don't make it hurt, but handgun shooting and pouring coffee do.

I may have to switch to PCC and carbine for a while and put down the handgun.

btw: at 48 you don't "win" a pull up bet even if you take home the cash.
    I dealt with tennis and golfer's elbow from age 30 to 36. I developed it from repetitious use from the machine I ran at work for years. In those 6 years, there were very few things that gave me much if any relief. The magic cure for me was blowing up my L5 disc, and severely herniating L3 and L4. The nearly 12 months that I had off of work completely fixed my elbow. Back sucks now tho.

User Tag List