Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trigger help

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    To say it's easier to become proficient with a j frame (can we quantify that?) than it is to clear malfunctions on a Glock seems fanciful at best.
    While a revolver may be easier to just shoot the shots on board with little to no practice, it's a whole lot harder to shoot accurately, or operate at speed without a whole lot of practice.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Very,very good advice. Thank you all for the replies. She is Annie Oakley with her CZ Makarof . However, if I had known the pit falls of this pistol I never would have bought it.

Thanks again

David

Quote Originally Posted by cutt View Post
    Very,very good advice. Thank you all for the replies. She is Annie Oakley with her CZ Makarof . However, if I had known the pit falls of this pistol I never would have bought it.

Thanks again

David
    Wait, hold off on the regret. I’ve heard the “expert’s gun” term thrown around before. I don’t think someone has to be an expert to shoot it well but they need to know how to shoot a DA revolver. Spring replacements will reduce weight on the hammer and rebound and will make the DA much more reasonable. She needs an introduction on shooting a DA revolver. A little practice shooting DA will increase skill considerably. 20 mins of dry fire focused on the front sight and stroking the trigger smoothly, straight to the rear will go a long way. Smooth first and speed will follow with practice. Old school recommend is placing a quarter flat on top of the back strap forward of the front sight. Quarter doesn’t fall off through trigger stroke? That’s smooth. Perfect practice makes perfection. In my opinion this is a revolver with a contact to 7 yard range. It works well in that range if the shooter has an understanding of how to effectively operate the DA and has some practice.
    Last edited by medmo; 02-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks again

David
    It's not THAT bad. She needs to work on her grip strength, dry fire it for practice, and practice live with some lighter ammo. Try the Apex springs, dry fire it 1000 times to smooth it out. OR have someone work on it. Have her carry some federal wadcutters. I think too many people make the j-frames out like you need a Yale PhD in gun handling to have a hope. Not true. You have to work harder at them, but they have their benefits if you take the time to get some basic skill.

Thank you Speederlander and Medmo,I was not aware of dry firing 1000 times would help smooth out the action. Also with the quarter drill. It all makes a lot of sense. And improving her grip strength is always a plus. Especially for a young woman. Again thank very much, all of that replied to my thread. Also, I will check into replacement spring kit.

Why are you so insistent in giving her something she clearly doesn't want?

A good action job will improve the "shootability" of a J-Frame, but it will never rival the performance achievable with the larger framed guns; it's just a different animal. Spring kits will not get you there, so I'd just throw that money at the cost of an action job.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

This my gun. She has2 9mm's, 1 .45. I am not going to give her a gun she doesn't want. We simply went to the gun range to shoot. Hell, when I die she can do what ever she wants to do with it.I am not forcing anything on her. We went to the range to shoot and I pulled out this pistol and asked her to shoot it and wanted her feed back. So, if see doesn't want it so be it. Thats cool. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    A good action job will improve the "shootability" of a J-Frame, but it will never rival the performance achievable with the larger framed guns; it's just a different animal. Spring kits will not get you there, so I'd just throw that money at the cost of an action job.
    Thank you 41.

Thank you Speederlander and Medmo,I was not aware of dry firing 1000 times would help smooth out the action. Also with the quarter drill. It all makes a lot of sense. And improving her grip strength is always a plus. Especially for a young woman. Again thank very much, all of that replied to my thread. Also, I will check into replacement spring kit.
    I meant placing the quarter forward of the rear sight not the front. Placing it forward of the front sight wouldn’t work very well at all.

User Tag List