Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger help

Trigger help

I have S&W 38 special hammerless revolver.I took my 25 year old daughter to the range for some shooting. The trigger pull on this gun is heavy. What do you recommend the pull should be. I need a trigger job, so what do you think It needs to be? One day it will be hers. I have know idea what it is now.

The 442/642 J frames are no fun to shoot. I'm sure your daughter is smart enough to work a semi auto. Keep the revolver and buy her a Glock/similar.

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who give non gun relatives extremely hard to shoot and/or crappy guns.

My neighbor was gifted by her father a Taurus M85 snub nose.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The 442/642 J frames are no fun to shoot. I'm sure your daughter is smart enough to work a semi auto. Keep the revolver and buy her a Glock/similar.

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who give non gun relatives extremely hard to shoot and/or crappy guns.

My neighbor was gifted by her father a Taurus M85 snub nose.
    I think that might be a little harsh. J frames might take some practice to become proficient with, but it takes much longer to learn how to clear a malfunction in a semi.

Here is my point. Not everyone who owns guns, are gun nuts like us who frequent forums and the like. Many of these people “learn” how to use their guns then leave them in drawers, safes or in this case maybe purses for a year or two, then practice again lol! When they do take em out, chances are, they’re going to need it. And that’s where a revolver really shines. It’ll still go bang.

Yes i’m assuming that a revolver at rest for years will outperform a semi that’s been at rest for years. I am but one data point. But If I had a daughter that didn’t shot much but wanted protection, it be a revolver. If she was going to carry it. It could very well be a j frame.

Anyway OP, have a look at:

Wilson Combat
    Or
    Apex

For spring kits. Google j frame spring kits. Read up a little. They work - good luck.
    Last edited by Port; 02-03-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    Not everyone who owns guns, are gun nuts like us who frequent forums and the like.
    Exactly. And a S&W X42 is an expert's handgun.

How many people here have seen new shooters hit the ground in front of their stationary target with a double action J frame, or have absolutely no idea where the round went?

Name another firearm where the trigger pull is roughly equal in pounds to the number of ounces the gun weighs.

I absolutely guarantee his daughter wants nothing to do with that revolver, and shooting it was painful and disheartening.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Exactly. And a S&W X42 is an expert's handgun.

How many people here have seen new shooters hit the ground in front of their stationary target with a double action J frame, or have absolutely no idea where the round went?

Name another firearm where the trigger pull is roughly equal in pounds to the number of ounces the gun weighs.

I absolutely guarantee his daughter wants nothing to do with that revolver, and shooting it was painful and disheartening.
    That’s why he’s looking for a spring kit

Site Supporter
    My j frame and my k frame both have DA pulls of over ten pounds. I'd guess that an 8 pound pull would be reasonable for a worked on gun, but I'm not a revolver guy.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The 442/642 J frames are no fun to shoot.
    I have a 637 Airweight. It still has the original grips (rubber copies of Craig Spegel's boot grips). In less than fifteen rounds though it, the web of my right hand is literally cut and bleeding.

I have medium sized hands but they are tough from years of outdoors play and work, hand tool use, and weights. And they still bleed after three cylinders worth of 158 gr +P 38 Special.

They are the last handgun I'd ever recommend to a non-enthusiast.

HOWEVER, a K or L frame with a decent action job that leaves it 100% reliable, with a set of appropriately sized Pachmayr rubber grips is just what the doctor ordered for non-enthusiasts that want a pistol for self defense in the home or outside the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    That’s why he’s looking for a spring kit
    Here's the weight of the trigger with an Apex kit installed.

The Lyman digital gauge maxes out at 12#.

And we still haven't addressed the fact that the sights are among the worst of any modern handgun.

Thanks fella's for the excellant info. She own's 2 9mm's and a Springfield in .45. But she thought the 442 sucked. Everything that was mentioned above was spot on. So, do I need different springs( which ones) or a trigger job? She shoots the Springfield better than the .38.

Quote Originally Posted by cutt View Post
    Thanks fella's for the excellant info. She own's 2 9mm's and a Springfield in .45. But she thought the 442 sucked. Everything that was mentioned above was spot on. So, do I need different springs( which ones) or a trigger job? She shoots the Springfield better than the .38.
    Let me help you out Dad. She's telling you she wants nothing to do with it.

Do you think women can't decide these things for themselves?

User Tag List