Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trigger help

I figured thats what you meant. I thought the same thing after you posted.

I've got three 12.5 oz 637-2 J-frames chambered in 9x19mm.
    DA trigger pull measures about 4 to 5 Lbs.
    SA trigger pull measures 1.5 to 2 pounds.
    Extraction and reloading of moon clips is quick and easy. Seems like a good choice for my newbie daughter.
    Much easier to handle than my Micro 9.

Well, I'm ok using it as is. However getting a spring kit in the near future to smooth every thing out.

That will help. Also, an Arkansas stone on the rebound slide.
    A ballpoint pen is ideal for manipulating the little spring in the front of the slide - the tool isn't needed.
    Don't mess wit the sear.

"or operate at speed without a whole lot of practice".

That went over my head, please elaborate.
    (not arguing, just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I've got three 12.5 oz 637-2 J-frames chambered in 9x19mm.
    DA trigger pull measures about 4 to 5 Lbs.
    If you can get a reliable 4 to 5 lb DA trigger in a lightweight J frame, you can get it in a K frame which is much easier for your daughter to shoot well.

BTW, how did you get it that light, and is it 100% reliable? PM me if you want.

"If you can get a reliable 4 to 5 lb DA trigger in a lightweight J frame, you can get it in a K frame which is much easier for your daughter to shoot well".

True, but shooting well isn't a prerequisite. Light weight, concealability, and convenient carry are. Also the ability to go bang with just a trigger pull.
    Needs to be reasonably accurate at a distance of about 4 to 8 feet.

Re trigger pull, titanium cylinder to reduce rotating mass, Wolff reduced power springs, Apex reduced power firing pin/spring, and some smoothing of moving parts with an Arkansas stone. No work on sear other than some natural smoothing due to dry firing. On the three pistols, SA pull is more consistent than DA, at a bit over 1.5 lbs. Use 147gr 9x19mm jhp to minimise potential for cylinder face erosion on the titanium cylinders.

None of the three have misfired yet. I won't be able to realistically assess dependability till one does misfire.

I do note that it is important not to make the trigger rebound spring too light. If you do, trigger reset becomes either too slow, or problematic. Neither is desirable.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-23-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Post #34
    Oops
    I meant to say rear of the slide.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    "If you can get a reliable 4 to 5 lb DA trigger in a lightweight J frame, you can get it in a K frame which is much easier for your daughter to shoot well".

True, but shooting well isn't a prerequisite. Light weight, concealability, and convenient carry are. Also the ability to go bang with just a trigger pull.
    Needs to be reasonably accurate at a distance of about 4 to 8 feet.

Re trigger pull, titanium cylinder to reduce rotating mass, Wolff reduced power springs, Apex reduced power firing pin/spring, and some smoothing of moving parts with an Arkansas stone. No work on sear other than some natural smoothing due to dry firing. On the three pistols, SA pull is more consistent than DA, at a bit over 1.5 lbs. Use 147gr 9x19mm jhp to minimise potential for cylinder face erosion on the titanium cylinders.

None of the three have misfired yet. I won't be able to realistically assess dependability till one does misfire.

I do note that it is important not to make the trigger rebound spring too light. If you do, trigger reset becomes either too slow, or problematic. Neither is desirable.
    Thanks very interesting

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't do the "quarter trick" as I very much doubt that'll do anything but frustrate.

Just do some wall drills in dry fire. Then dry fire more. Then dry fire some more. Them load the gun with federal 148 gr wadcutters and carry it. Practice with wadcutters or (if you handload) make some reduced recoil loads.

If she wants to carry a snub then she'll deal with the idiosyncrasies of one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List