Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistols

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I'm considering an AR pistol with an arm brace but wanted to hear some thoughts from dudes who know more than me.

• General consensus on AR pistols?
    • Optimum barrel length & caliber? Is a 7" 300 blackout better than a 11.875" 223?
    • If the AR pistol is viable, who are some good companies to buy from? Or is it better to build one?

Is there some other question I should be asking but don't know enough to ask?
    @ASH556 covered a lot of what I could and almost all the points that I would have as well. This is my $0.02 from 10 years messing with these things for work and for personal use:
    1) I've got 3 AR pistols. At first I thought they were gimmicks, but I have warmed up to them. To me, it's a viable means of vetting out a combination before I "render unto Caesar" for a Form 1 and/or travelling with a rifle caliber option.
    2) If you can afford to feed a Blackout or use it for a specific purpose, then there's nothing wrong with it (I absolutely love the 110 & 120 Barnes loads). I tend to go towards a 9-9.5" .300 Blackout as personal preference. For 5.56, 11.5 or 12.5"
    3) Sons of Liberty Gun Works, BCM, or FN would be my go-tos for a factory pistol. DD offers them as well (with factory Law folders as well), but I pass on them for personal reasons. Two of mine are built up franken-pistols, one is a franken-lower with an SR-15 CQB Upper. The latter will eventually get put on an SR-15 lower for an SBR. If you know what you're doing, build away. Otherwise I'd buy. My pistols pre-date the SBA3, so I'm adding those as I go along. The one thing I'd add to them all (and will eventually) is a Law Tactical side-folder.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Isn’t the sweet spot 14.5 inches for 5.56 and 8-9 for .300 BLK?
    It was previously addressed, but my information was 9" was the "sweet spot" for .300 Blackout.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I've been told that in the last year or so, DD's MK18s have been adhering to the Crane spec gas port size of 0.070", and that they'll even take your old upper and rebarrel it for you free of charge if it was overgassed.

That being said, I think Centurion Arms is probably the place to go for a turn-key solution, unless you absolutely need a 10.3"/10.5": https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/cm4pistol.htm

No other reputable place is going to have a pistol with a CHF barrel for that kind of pricing.

I will say that I'm leery on the concept of pistols in general if you're in a state that allows SBRs, unless it's just a way to use your gun while the Form 1 gets approved, or if there's some other state law peculiarities (e.g., can't leave a rifle loaded in a vehicle, but a pistol is okay). Otherwise, the ATF can change their opinion on AR braces at anytime.
    I'm pretty sure a licensed SBR is a little more hassle to carry about legally. An AR pistol is a pistol legally. I have neither but I'm sure an expert will chime in sometime.

Site Supporter
    That being said, I think Centurion Arms is probably the place to go for a turn-key solution, unless you absolutely need a 10.3"/10.5": https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/cm4pistol.htm

No other reputable place is going to have a pistol with a CHF barrel for that kind of pricing.
    I hadn't realized CA was offering pistols, but that would be another one for the "good to go" list.

I will say that I'm leery on the concept of pistols in general if you're in a state that allows SBRs, unless it's just a way to use your gun while the Form 1 gets approved, or if there's some other state law peculiarities (e.g., can't leave a rifle loaded in a vehicle, but a pistol is okay). Otherwise, the ATF can change their opinion on AR braces at anytime.
    For sure the AR pistols, I could see them going the way of bump stocks, streetsweepers, and Akins Accelerators should someone do something stupid or a less than friendly to the 2A get in the right (wrong) position. That said, your point about state law peculiarities is exactly one of the reasons why I've looked at the pistols as a viable option for some instances. As a "pistol", it's treated differently than a rifle or SBR and can give a little more flexibility in it being loaded/concealed in a vehicle. Though some places can be weird. Alabama, for example, had it on the books that a pistol was defined as having a barrel shorter than 12". I don't know if that changed, but it's another example of a "know before you go" situation.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

While I was doing some browsing for this thread (tangent: Maybe it's just me but it seems like early-2000's internet was better than today's internet in regards to finding information) I ran across a company nearby in Boise called Primary Weapons Systems.

They use a piston set up, and since I would like to eventually get into suppressors, maybe this would be a way to go? This is what I'm looking at at PWS: https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-6520 Otherwise, I am thinking of doing a 11.5" Colt + SBA3 or a Centurion build.

What I'm really interested in is a 12.5" Hodge, but it's be easier to propose to Anna Kendrick than snag a Hodge.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

PWS have a variable gas system so suppressor shouldn’t be a problem. I have a couple and like them. Heavier than a DI, lighter than LWRC.

This is interesting to me because of the short overall length and also just because. A pistol length system in 7.62x39 doesn’t sound very practical but it does sound fun. What kind of useful range would it have? 100 yards? 150?

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/pdx/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    This is interesting to me because of the short overall length and also just because. A pistol length system in 7.62x39 doesn’t sound very practical but it does sound fun. What kind of useful range would it have? 100 yards? 150?

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/pdx/
    7.62x39 and 300 BO are so similar in terms of ballistics there really isn’t much reason to mess with 7.62x39 in an AR pistol.

I have completed pistols in .223, 300 BO and 9mm, they are great fun shooters abet a bit noisy. I used 7.5” barrels on 9 mm and 223 ( 223 used with a 6” flash hider) and a 10.5” on the 300. Not wanting to stick my fingers in line with the muzzle blast I added a sling swivel at the end of the rail causing me to grasp far enough away from end of barrel. Each of my pistols is topped with a red dot electronic sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    PWS have a variable gas system so suppressor shouldn’t be a problem. I have a couple and like them. Heavier than a DI, lighter than LWRC.
    My PWS MK110 Mod 1 was so overgassed that it could lock back on empty while using a 10 oz buffer on the A5 system while using a Sprinco green spring when used with a SureFire SOCOM556RC, the smallest factory gas port size, and PMC Bronze. The guys at PWS were great about getting me set up with new gas block parts, but the factory adjustable gas block is no guarantee of it being set up properly for a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    7.62x39 and 300 BO are so similar in terms of ballistics there really isn’t much reason to mess with 7.62x39 in an AR pistol.
    This was a factor in my choosing 300BLK for my AR pistol. With 7.62x39 and .30 WCF being known quantities, regarding terminal ballistics, from relatively short barrels, I would not be going into unknown territory, without a map.

I had very nearly bought a bolt-action rifle, in .300BLK, for low-noise pest/vermin control, several years previously, and had forgotten the “numbers” on .300 BLK, but it was enough to remember to remember that, for any given bullet weight, medium thirties have been doing an equivalant job for multiple decades.

User Tag List