Thread: a simpler way to reliably acquire the red dot -- MKI

a simpler way to reliably acquire the red dot -- MKI

My wife started shooting a red dot in competition in late November, and several friends have recently transitioned to a dot. This has caused me to reflect on my red dot shooting so as to be able to explain why I have been doing things a certain way. At the top of the list for shooters transitioning to a red dot, and even very experienced dot shooters, is how to reliably acquire the red dot when presenting the pistol.

Some folks rely on BUIS to find the dot. Others try to get the pistol into the sight line as early as possible and use vision to guide the red dot to the target. However, most more developed shooters are using index to get the pistol extended to their desired target. Compared to iron sights which are much more tolerant of some misalignment, a red dot requires near perfect alignment or the dot will be not visible in the window of its display. So the goal is to present the red dot with sufficient alignment that the dot is at least visible in the display, and ideally it is pointing at your desired target. To get that alignment, we focus on setting the wrist angle, both up and down and left to right. That is easier said than done, and I have been focusing on how to consistently and quickly set the correct wrist angle.

Something that I just stumbled on, through trial and error, is using the middle knuckle of my middle finger of my gun hand as an index point. If you look at your hands when holding the pistol, you will see that your middle knuckle is the furthest forward of all your fingers. When you present the pistol, if you try to drive the middle joint of your middle finger through the center of whatever you are wanting to shoot, it seems to quickly and repeatedly bring the red dot onto your desired target. If for some reason your gun is extended and the red dot is not visible, extending your middle knuckle on your middle finger to the intended aiming point also seems to make the red dot snap back onto the target. MKI equals "middle knuckle index," and is just my shorthand to describe it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Do you find this works across various types of guns with different grip characteristics such as angle, shape, etc?

One thing i have found out with my RMR is that, to my astonishment, my Glock points...high.

I've carried the gorram thing for 24 years.

Years.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Do you find this works across various types of guns with different grip characteristics such as angle, shape, etc?
    I am shooting a VP9 these days, but confirmed it with a Glock/RMR. My wife tested it with a Glock/DP Pro, Tom Jones with a 320/Romeo and Darryl Bolke with a 17/T1.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    One thing i have found out with my RMR is that, to my astonishment, my Glock points...high.

I've carried the gorram thing for 24 years.

Years.
    As I said in my initial post, iron sights cover many sins when it comes to presentation, that quickly become apparent with a red dot. The neat thing about MKI is it also works great with iron sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good food for thought, as I’m awaiting my RDS-equipped slide back from Jagerwerks in a few weeks and am looking forward to mastering efficient presentation techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am shooting a VP9 these days, but confirmed it with a Glock/RMR. My wife tested it with a Glock/DP Pro, Tom Jones with a 320/Romeo and Darryl Bolke with a 17/T1.

As I said in my initial post, iron sights cover many sins when it comes to presentation, that quickly become apparent with a red dot. The neat thing about MKI is it also works great with iron sights.
    Ain't that the truth!

Especially trigger control...I find myself hanging my head in shame between shots. Makes for slow splits.

Well, I'll have to try this one out.

I have not given my Atom slide any love recently, but some dryfire foolin' around seems to give the theory weight. I'll keep playing with it.

I'll have to remember this when I get mine sent

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have spent two dry fire sessions concentrating on MKI. I believe it really makes a difference. Tonight I was doing draws to a sight picture with a .7 par. I have had struggles in the past with my index being pointed high. Tonight I noticed that everytime my master grip started with the middle knuckle in the right spot, my index was spot on. There were some draws where my knuckle ended up slightly out of position. Instead of trying to adjust it, I saw it through to the end to see where the dot ended up. It was off. I believe this is an effective method that has potentially solved a problem for me. I still need to test it live-fire.

Thanks, @GJM for sharing this.

User Tag List