Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5 vs. Gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Attachment 35099

These are the parts that were replaced. The old parts were black/blued. The new parts are shiny silver. There was a serial number range that went from oldest up to single letters in the serial number. I had an HUxxx that had the old parts. I pretty sure any Glock with 3 letters is OK. I think it was mid range in the double letters. I had a WNxxx but I don't remember if I had to replace parts in it or not.
    There was a serial number range that went from oldest up to DOUBLE letters in the serial number.

Should have read "double" letters in the serial number.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    There was a serial number range that went from oldest up to DOUBLE letters in the serial number.

Should have read "double" letters in the serial number.
    Other black/blue parts that are replaced are

Locking Block
    EDP
    Connector
    Slide lock spring
    Trigger housing with black ejector
    Firing pin spring
    Firing pin safety spring
    old style trigger springs

I was able to finally get to the range and shake off some no-live fire rust.

I put 240 rounds through the Gen 2 and 10 rounds through the Gen 5.

I had two malfunctions with the Gen 2, both failures of the slide to lock back on an empty mag during Bill Drills. I think I just hit my grip a little high.

Otherwise the Gen 2 shot perfectly acceptable. Recoil “seemed” a little more sharp then the Gen 5 but not unpleasantly so.

First 10 rounds of the day out of my Gen 5 (B8 - 25 Yards) 90-3X

Next 10 rounds of the day out of the Gen 2 (B8 - 25 Yards) 92-1X

Bill Drill was acceptable: 1.97 - 1.06, .20, .17, .18, .18, .18

Doubles drill, 20 rounds at 7 yards (.18-.22 splits)

Doubles drill, 20 rounds at 15 yards (.22-.35 splits)

Doubles drill 20 rounds at 25 yards - yes it needs work (.35-.40 splits)

Snow was pretty deep on the range today. The best part of snow that deep is you don’t need target stands.

Waldo, our resident range Llama, wasn’t impressed with the snow:

The Gen 2 felt like a Glock and shot like a Glock. It’s heavier trigger was definitely an issue for maximum accuracy, but acceptable enough that in practical terms I couldn’t tell much a difference from the Gen 5. Yes, the Gen 5 is better in many aspects to the Gen 2, but as Bill noted above, “Gen 2’s are good go”. I’m pretty happy with it, and man, I’m Not sure what more you could ask for a 20 year old gun.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

PensFan
    Sometimes those Gen1 and Gen2 slide stop notches get worn and need to be reprofiled a bit.

Range day today!

340 rounds through my Gen 2 Glock 17 and 10 rounds through my Gen 2 G19. All 124g AE.

Total rounds through the G2 G17 is 580.

Travelling and life have made it difficult to get to the range this month so I extended the session with 100 more rounds than I usually do.

I started with the usual B8’s at 25 yards. First target with the G17 was an 87, with most of the shots a bit left. I adjusted the sight a bit and then shot a 91.

I spent a bit of time on Bill drills with the Gen 2. I was comfortably under 2 seconds on all but one of the drills, but below 1.9 the wheels fell off a bit. I did a 1.79 with two close C’s. On that run I also had a .13 and .14 split. I can’t recall shooting a .13 split before. Anyway, it was kinda frustrating not to get below 1.9, but having a cold and being chilly at the range didn’t help, and at least provides some excuses!

I then spent the majority of my rounds pushing as much speed as I could with the doubles drill at 7, 15, and 25 yards. My plan was to really watch my sights, push speed and not be concerned about accuracy.

At 7 yards I was in the .15 - .18 range. I could not seem to go faster, despite the splits I was able to get on my Bill drill.

At 15 yards I was in the .18- .20 range with a couple in the .15 range. The wheels came off a bit, but I was not worried about accuracy, I wanted to see what I could do.

At 25 yards I was in the .21-.23 aplit range. I was actaully not unhappy with this target. But yeah, I need to work on it more.

The rest of the time I spent working on shooting on the move and the Call It and Leave It drill. I was able to get my split time down to 1.03 with call it and leave it, and it felt good.

The Gen 2 is working well. I had a few intances of the slide failing to lock back on an empty mag due to me being too high with my support grip. I think the flat side pannels allow this to happen easier on the Gen 2 vs. the Gen 3 and subsequent generations which have the grip panel indent. I like the slab sides of the Gen 2 better for grip friction though. Skate tape really helps.

Waldo visited with me a bit. He likes his carrots!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

The Gen 2 continues to perform well....

I put another 250 rounds of 124g AE through it yesterday.

Total rounds through Gen 2: 830
    I had numerous instances of the slide failing to lock back on an empty mag.

The highlight of the day was my best recorded Bill Drill. 1.87 clean with .98, .16, .18, .17, .20, .18. The Gen 2 splits very well, despite the heavy trigger.
    --

What grip plug, if any, are you using in your Gen5? I’m looking at probably getting a G17.5 for Production and relegating my Gen2 for training/practice use. I have some Pierce plugs for my G19.4s and, while they’re better than having a hole there, are nowhere near as nice as the Gen 1-3 plugs that Pierce makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What grip plug, if any, are you using in your Gen5? I’m looking at probably getting a G17.5 for Production and relegating my Gen2 for training/practice use. I have some Pierce plugs for my G19.4s and, while they’re better than having a hole there, are nowhere near as nice as the Gen 1-3 plugs that Pierce makes.

I have this one in my G19.5:

https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug

Fit is good. It’s about 3 oz iirc.

Excelent posts, Clobbersaurus. I do love seeing some "what goes around comes around" in some of Glocks design lineage.

I have a 2nd gen G17, made apparently in Feb of 1990. Not the original owner, came from a LGS. Love to know its history.

Untold thousands of rounds through it at this point. Only seen it malfunction with steel case Russian stuff out of Magpul mags, like many other folks have. Probably still my all time favorite pistol. Carry it alot, even split with a G19 lately though.

I consider it an example of a modern classic. Glock really got it right with those.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 05-19-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

I use my Gen 5 in IPSC production so no grip plug for me. I have one on my Gen 2 G19, not sure what the brand is though.
    --

User Tag List