Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5 vs. Gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I use my Gen 5 in IPSC production so no grip plug for me. I have one on my Gen 2 G19, not sure what the brand is though.
    IPSC Production doesn’t allow grip plugs? What about triggers and grip modifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    IPSC Production doesn’t allow grip plugs? What about triggers and grip modifications?

You can use use after market trigger components to get to 3lbs. No grip modifications except for grip tape and no grip plugs.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

The lanyard clip like the 19X ships with is available for other models. OEM part so its Production and PO legal and works like a grip plug.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The lanyard clip like the 19X ships with is available for other models. OEM part so its Production and PO legal and works like a grip plug.
    Do you happen to have a good source for those?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Do you happen to have a good source for those?

I do , but shipping to you would be the killer. I can get you article numbers if you want to get an armourer there to order for you.

Otherwise we can make a plan.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Interesting, thank you.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Finished the 2000 round challenge with my Gen 2 G17 yesterday.

Pistol: Glock G17 Gen 2
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: 124g American Eagle
    Dates of testing: 17 Feb, 2019 - 15 June, 2018
    Total rounds fired: 2091
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: Numerous failures of slide to lock back on an empty mag. I gave up counting.
    Breakages: 0

The almost 25 year old Gen 2 has ben a very good performing gun for me. I broke a few personal records with it, it’s been reliable, and it shoots quite well. It’s proved to be a capable training and backup gun for my Gen 5 and though the Gen 5 is a better gun in every way, I wouldn’t feel at a disadvantage if I had to use the Gen 2 in a match.

I really like the slide finish on the Gen 2, it is just so easy to manipulate for administrative tasks. The Gen 5 locks up way tighter and it’s quite a bit harder to press check and rack the slide. I like the slab side panels of the Gen 2 and could do without the dimples on later generations. Skate tape works nicely on Gen 2 guns and you can get it high up on the side panel, where it belongs (looking at YOU Glock). The Gen 2 did not lock back reliably on an empty mag, but I have this issue frequently with my Gen 5 too. I just grip the gun a bit too high.

Final thoughts are that Gen 2’s are great guns. You can usually find them cheap, and if I was on a budget, I would pick up an older Gen 2, a spare parts kit, and be happier with it than just about any new budget gun.

Obligatory dirty pics:

--

I’ve been digging my Gen 2. Glock even replaced my barrel when it sheared a lug off. If I wasn’t a GSSF member I’d be all over just about any police trade-in Glock I saw.

User Tag List