Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5 vs. Gen 2

Site Supporter
    I keep trying to 'retire' my former LE-issued 1994 G19.2, but it's proving difficult because it just works so damnably well. It's still the daily carry gun about 75% of the time, depending.

I'm very interested in what you discover comparing the G2 and G5 G17's. I've been on the fence about a G19.5 or G19X for awhile, this might push that over the edge

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Looks like Georgia. No idea on the P.

My Gen 3 has a Glock logo in that spot.
    Those are the proof marks. Meaning the gun has been tested with overpressure "proof" ammo.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I lucked out and it has the silver trigger bar. I really wish with these older guns that I could find out the history. If it was a department issued piece, it would be kinda cool to find out which department. My Gen 2 G19 has the same trigger components as this one.

That is the plan! I’m not a great 25 yard shooter, usually low 90’s on B8’s with my Gen 5, but I should be able to see a difference based on my score.
    At some point during it's live that gun has been to the factory. It does not have all original parts. Just sayin'.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    At some point during it's live that gun has been to the factory. It does not have all original parts. Just sayin'.
    My work was the second agency in VA to begin buying G17s in the late '80s. They all had the original black internals. Glock sent us the upgrade kits and we installed them in house. We did night sight installations a year or so later also in house. Mine had yellow rear and green front Trijicons. I wanted to buy it when we traded for G22s, but they were not made available to us.
    If any of you have a G17 serial numbered HE015 or close and agency marked, I would be very interested in purchasing it.

Hammertime
    I liked the original, NIB early 90s era Gen 2 G17 I had in the safe from my dad until I shot it back to back with a current G45. Then it went back into the safe.

The old gun handles really well and I like the old slide finish. But there was no comparison shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    Have you had a chance to shoot it Clobber or are you also in the part of the Country getting pummeled with snow?
    Damn snow has pummeled us hard the last few days and I can’t get to the range. We don’t get much snow here but in the last few days we’ve got a bunch. According to my fitness app I’ve burned 2,258 calories shovelling snow today.

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    What parts are factory replacements? I’m curious about it’s history, so please share if you can.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    What parts are factory replacements? I’m curious about it’s history, so please share if you can.
    Name:  IMG_2642.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  34.5 KB

These are the parts that were replaced. The old parts were black/blued. The new parts are shiny silver. There was a serial number range that went from oldest up to single letters in the serial number. I had an HUxxx that had the old parts. I pretty sure any Glock with 3 letters is OK. I think it was mid range in the double letters. I had a WNxxx but I don't remember if I had to replace parts in it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I keep trying to 'retire' my former LE-issued 1994 G19.2, but it's proving difficult because it just works so damnably well. It's still the daily carry gun about 75% of the time, depending.

I'm very interested in what you discover comparing the G2 and G5 G17's. I've been on the fence about a G19.5 or G19X for awhile, this might push that over the edge
    Gen 5's are the better pistols in pretty much every single metric except nostalgia.
    There's no way I'd choose my Gen 2 17 over my 19X or 45 for anything except reliving the good old days (which when you relive them you realize they were actually the mediocre old days).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post

These are the parts that were replaced. The old parts were black/blued. The new parts are shiny silver. There was a serial number range that went from oldest up to single letters in the serial number. I had an HUxxx that had the old parts. I pretty sure any Glock with 3 letters is OK. I think it was mid range in the double letters. I had a WNxxx but I don't remember if I had to replace parts in it or not.
    Thanks for posting that Bill, much appreciated.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That was an awesome post!! And I agree, it is amazing how little Glock has needed to change in all this time.

Near the extractor on the G2 is a glock logo. Same spot on the G5 is a funky looking design around a "P". Does anyone know the significance of that?
    I believe it means the G5 slide was manufactured and tested at the Glock facility in Smyrna, GA.

User Tag List