Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5 vs. Gen 2

Glock 17 Gen 5 vs. Gen 2

I recently picked up a 1995 era Glock 17 Gen 2 as a possible training gun for my Gen 5 G17. It came up for sale on a local gun forum and it was going for about half what a new Gen 5 is going for - couldn’t resist!

The Gen 5 kinda went back to the Gen 2’s finger grooveless roots, and I have not seen a full comparison of the two guns yet, so I thought I would post a few pics comparing the guns, post a few thoughts, and start it off on a 2000 round challenge. Unfortunately, weather prevented me from hitting the range today. Next weekend will have to do.

The Gen 2 came with a set of dead tritium sights. It was dirty and the round count was unknown by the seller. It seems to have a moderate amount of rounds though it and did not look to have ever been detail stripped based on the gunk in the corners. Slide finish has a few bright spots, but nothing major. No rust or corrosion.

The Gen 2 has that wonderful old tenifer slide finish that is awesomely grippy. You really don’t need forward serrations with it, just grasp it anywhere and it won’t slip out of your hand. It makes press checks and dry fire with a Glock very easy.

I can’t notice any difference in how the Gen 2 feels in my hand vs. the Gen 5, even though I use the medium back strap on the Gen 5. I actually like the Gen 2 grip better without the grip panel thumb dimples on the Gen 5. I can get more meat of my hands on the side panels of the Gen 2.

The Gen 5 grip treatment is much more grippy than the Gen 2. It makes a huge difference. Note the differences in slide geometry at the muzzle and the barrel differences. The finger opening at the base of the magwell is nearly identical.

The slide plates look pretty close, with some minor changes.

It appears the take down tab is farther forward on the Gen 2.

Some slight changes to the ejection port and extractor.

Top view of the frame internals. At first I was struck by how much smaller the locking block looked on the Gen 2, but once I pulled it out during the detail strip I realized that it was really not that much smaller, it’s actually larger in some areas than the 5, but the wings at the top of the 5’s block make it look larger. The Gen 2 had a no coil spring NY1 trigger in it which measured right at 8lbs.

Lots of differences in the slide assembly and barrels. Although everything looks familiar.

Note the old sights...

The front sight was actually staked in. I have never seen that in a Glock before, which leads me to believe this may have been a duty pistol at some point.

I sheared off the front sight with a pair of pliers before swapping both the front and rear for a set of Dawson adjustables. There was a slight bit of rust under the rear sight when I removed it. It seamed to be all rear sight related and wiped away from the slide with no resistance. Here are the sights with the NYI trigger.

The magwell of the 5 is much larger than the Gen 2. Mag changes with the 2 are more problematic than the Gen 5, but not hugely so. After dozens of them in dry practice, it feels about the same, but when switching back to the Gen 5, boy are the mag changes smooth! This will make the Gen 2 a perfect training gun.

Ready to rock with the Dawson adjustables and a new trigger spring. Trigger pull weight is down to 6 pounds, about 2 pounds heavier than my current Gen 5 competition gun.

The Gen 2 is an almost 25 year old firearm and I think it is a testament to Glock’s original design that the best Glock ever made(IMO), the Gen 5, is only slightly different than the old school Glocks. Of course the proof will be in the shooting, and I’ll report back here on that next week! I’m very interested to see how accurate it is vs. the Gen 5, and how well I can shoot it in some of the drills I do.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 02-03-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Clobber thanks for that post. Very interesting.

I have a 1994 vintage Gen2 17 in my safe that's semi-retired (it was my very first Glock, bought brand new in '94).
    Only thing to watch for is the old style 90 degree extractor have a habit of chipping after a few dozen thousand rounds and start causing type 3's.
    Good to keep an extra on hand and inspect it when you change the recoil spring every 7500 rounds or so.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I have a 1994 vintage Gen2 17 in my safe that's semi-retired (it was my very first Glock, bought brand new in '94).
    Only thing to watch for is the old style 90 degree extractor have a habit of chipping after a few dozen thousand rounds and start causing type 3's.
    Good to keep an extra on hand and inspect it when you change the recoil spring every 7500 rounds or so.
    Thanks for the tip! I’ll watch it closely. I inspected it when I detail stripped it and could not see any chips or cracks.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

That was an awesome post!! And I agree, it is amazing how little Glock has needed to change in all this time.

Near the extractor on the G2 is a glock logo. Same spot on the G5 is a funky looking design around a "P". Does anyone know the significance of that?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That was an awesome post!! And I agree, it is amazing how little Glock has needed to change in all this time.

Near the extractor on the G2 is a glock logo. Same spot on the G5 is a funky looking design around a "P". Does anyone know the significance of that?
    Looks like Georgia. No idea on the P.

My Gen 3 has a Glock logo in that spot.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-03-2019 at 06:29 PM.

The Gen 5 with the medium back strap is about the same size as the Gen 2.

I can't tell in the picture. Is your trigger bar and striker blued or silver. The blued ones were part of the recall that wasn't a recall. There is a kit that Glock sent out to armorers to replace some parts to prevent doubling. I don't know how much trouble you would have getting it updated. Probably will never cause you a problem.

Gen 2's are good to go.

I would shoot it at 25 yards first thing, and expect that will be different than what you are seeing with your Gen 5.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great find Clobber and thanks for the informative post! Makes me wish I could find an early gen2 that much more. One day maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The Gen 5 with the medium back strap is about the same size as the Gen 2.

I can't tell in the picture. Is your trigger bar and striker blued or silver. The blued ones were part of the recall that wasn't a recall. There is a kit that Glock sent out to armorers to replace some parts to prevent doubling. I don't know how much trouble you would have getting it updated. Probably will never cause you a problem.

Gen 2's are good to go.
    I lucked out and it has the silver trigger bar. I really wish with these older guns that I could find out the history. If it was a department issued piece, it would be kinda cool to find out which department. My Gen 2 G19 has the same trigger components as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would shoot it at 25 yards first thing, and expect that will be different than what you are seeing with your Gen 5.
    That is the plan! I’m not a great 25 yard shooter, usually low 90’s on B8’s with my Gen 5, but I should be able to see a difference based on my score.
    --

User Tag List