Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire - Negative Effects?

Dry Fire - Negative Effects?

Backwards! Everything was backwards today. Shooting, my Glock 42, 43, and 48, I wasn’t doing very well shooting bullseye. Like at all. I got flustered and decided to do shoot Mozambique’s and mag dumps to elevate the stress. What the heck?! Those were all on target!! Beautifully on target. And I shot my 42 (.380) the best to boot! What the...

I honestly think I’ve been dry firing so much with my 9’s, that I went into my session today holding the firearms way to loosely. I have one of those LaserLytes that I’ve been practicing with quite religiously here lately. I think it’s made me forget to hold on tight.

What do you think? Does dry firing have any negative effects? Or did I just have a bad day?

Sounds like a bad day. Only way dryfire will have a negative affect is if your fundamentals are bad to begin with, in that case, all you do is ingrain bad habits and poor technique.

Dry fire is something that should accompany live fire not be a substitute for it. I don't think dry fire does good things for your trigger control or figuring how hard you should grip. I actually was gripping too hard in dry fire. I continue to learn all sorts of subtle things when dry firing, that might be not apparent with the recoil and noise of live fire.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think dry fire does good things for your trigger control
    Ben Stoger would disagree. And I agree with him.

I agree with everything else you've said about dry firing tho.

Dry fire needs some live fire so we remember that the gun goes off, makes noise and recoils.

It’s a great tool for refining skills and staying sharp, but live fire is required to maintain true proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Ben Stoger would disagree. And I agree with him.

I agree with everything else you've said about dry firing tho.
    I think this would probably be a good thing to discuss — the trigger control part.

I press the trigger all the time dry firing, just not on the clock when there is a tendency to short change trigger presses to make a time.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this would probably be a good thing to discuss — the trigger control part.

I press the trigger all the time dry firing, just not on the clock when there is a tendency to short change trigger presses to make a time.
    I think I understand a little better. Yep, it's easy to blow a good trigger press if the focus is 100% on making the par. But the thing that makes dry fire worthwhile is the self discipline to not blow a good trigger press (or any other aspect of good technique) just to make par.

I think that's what makes dry fire so difficult to do correctly and so frustratingly satisfying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    Backwards! Everything was backwards today. Shooting, my Glock 42, 43, and 48, I wasn’t doing very well shooting bullseye. Like at all. I got flustered and decided to do shoot Mozambique’s and mag dumps to elevate the stress. What the heck?! Those were all on target!! Beautifully on target. And I shot my 42 (.380) the best to boot! What the...

I honestly think I’ve been dry firing so much with my 9’s, that I went into my session today holding the firearms way to loosely. I have one of those LaserLytes that I’ve been practicing with quite religiously here lately. I think it’s made me forget to hold on tight.

What do you think? Does dry firing have any negative effects? Or did I just have a bad day?
    Sounds like a bad day but a better question might be are you doing dryfire wrong ?

Practice makes permenant not “perfect”

Since you have fired before you should have an idea how hard you should be gripping. If you are dry firing so much that you are getting bored and /or sloppy then it is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Sounds like a bad day but a better question might be are you doing dryfire wrong ?

Practice makes permenant not “perfect”

Since you have fired before you should have an idea how hard you should be gripping. If you are dry firing so much that you are getting bored and /or sloppy then it is too much.
    I think you are right - bad day.

And I think you’re right about getting sloppy too. I’ve been dry firing too much lately just trying to get used to my “new triggers.” I’ve been changing out the connectors and safety plungers on my Glocks and man, the difference has been so dramatic I’ve been dry firing just to get a feel on them.

So the answer is yes, there can be negative effects dry firing. If you don’t take it seriously. Like everything in life I suppose. Man... that was a little discouraging.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    I think you are right - bad day.

And I think you’re right about getting sloppy too. I’ve been dry firing too much lately just trying to get used to my “new triggers.” I’ve been changing out the connectors and safety plungers on my Glocks and man, the difference has been so dramatic I’ve been dry firing just to get a feel on them.

So the answer is yes, there can be negative effects dry firing. If you don’t take it seriously. Like everything in life I suppose. Man... that was a little discouraging.

Thanks.
    I find that the Glock trigger characteristics means Glock pistols require more live fire confirmation than any other type pistol I shoot.

User Tag List