Thread: LPVO "Default" Setting

LPVO "Default" Setting

For those of you who are using a LPVO for work purposes, what is your default magnification setting when the rifle is deployed?

When you're done, do you reset the magnification to a specific value before it goes back into the rack, or is it left where you last used it?

When you deploy the rifle, what is the thought process for determining where you're going to set the magnification ring before the action begins?

And finally based on your own experience, when the rifle is deployed for serious encounters how often do you change the magnification during the encounter? Or do you just roll with a certain setting and leave it there most of the time?

Thanks for any insight you wish to share!

My issued patrol rifle has an Aimpoint but I'm also issued a Remington 700 with a 3.5-15 Nightforce. It stays cased set on 3.5. I usually turn it up on the range, especially shooting at 100 or more yards. My thinking is that I'm more likely to need the field of view at closer range, and a longer range set up should allow me time to turn up the magnification as needed.

I keep my Accupower 1-4 set to 1x when it’s stowed, lume off. When I deploy it, I evaluate magnification setting based upon my cover, lighting, distance to threat, suspect cover, etc. There have been times I’ve whipped that thing out and gone straight to 4x pointed at an armed threat, other times it stays on 1x for building stuff, sometimes I change it multiple times during an incident.

I deployed it most recently on my last shift. Started on 1x because I was one of the first there, and was pretty close. A deputy with a RDS relieved me at the car, and I moved to a position a bit further back with a steady rest and good cover- switched to 4x. When it was time for the team to enter, I moved up and switched to 1x again.

When I stow the rifle, I will ensure it is set back to 1x with lume off and the sling properly staged. I will also return the rifle to “cruiser ready” (chamber empty, hammer back, safety on).

When I used one, it was always set at 1x. Spinning up was based on circumstance. Back to 1x when done.

Stowing set on the lowest magnification is what I assumed (and makes the most sense to me) - thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    When I used one, it was always set at 1x. Spinning up was based on circumstance. Back to 1x when done.
    This, or if not 1x, lowest magnification.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List