Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat / Beretta 92G CC light strikes!!

Wilson Combat / Beretta 92G CC light strikes!!

Starting to get lots of light strikes with this gun. I guess I need to contact Wilson Combat, but I thought I would check here first to try to gain some knowledge from those of you with more experience than me. For the first 2000-3000 rounds through this gun, no light strikes. For the last 1000-2000 rounds through this gun, lots of light strikes. I have experienced them now with Blazer Aluminum 115 grain, Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ, and now Sellier & Bellot 115 grain FMJ. I just switched to the S&B ammo because there was a great deal on SG Ammo. Shot 300 rounds today and the only failures were light strikes; 12 of them! Every one of them went bang on the second attempt to fire. The only other failure this gun has ever had is a failure to lock back on an empty mag and that has only happened one time. This gun does have the Wilson action tune, so I need to find out if when they do that they use a lighter hammer spring than the factory 16# hammer spring. The trigger pulls are great, but reliability is absolutely number one, so I need to get this figured out. My other thought is that maybe the firing pin channel is getting dirty. I had no idea you had to punch out pins and everything to access it, so I need a recommendation on some tools to make this happen (it looks like I need an absolutely tiny punch set).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as my "gunsmithing" abilities (I wouldn't even call them that) don't go beyond a field strip.

Thanks all.
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Sounds to me like your expecting combat results from a competition-tuned pistol. S&B in particular have hard primers and aren’t friendly to tuned DA/SA guns with light mainsprings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that Beretta uses a 14lb mainspring in their action tune along with their polished trigger bar. It sounds like you are at about 5K rounds which means that it’s time to replace your recoil spring, trigger return spring, and mainspring. I bet that fixes it.

BTW, there are a lot of high volume Beretta shooters around this forum who used 14 and even 13 lb mainsprings in their carry guns. I suspect that most are performing the maintenance that I mentioned every 5K rounds.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    Sounds to me like your expecting combat results from a competition-tuned pistol. S&B in particular have hard primers and aren’t friendly to tuned DA/SA guns with light mainsprings
    Respectfully, I do not see this as a competition-tuned pistol. I mean, I know it has the action tune by Wilson Combat, but I do not believe they perform this option specifically for competition purposes and I thought that their action tune could still be reasonably expected to perform reliably on a carry gun. This gun is literally called the 92G Compact Carry, so I wouldn't want to ever try to turn it into a competition-only pistol and I do expect it to be extremely reliable for concealed carry purposes. I am expecting results similar to my Brigadier Tactical, which also has Wilson's action tune, but has never had a light primer strike on any ammo through about 7500 rounds. I need to find out what all an action tune from Wilson entails and if they reduce the hammer spring weight from the factory 16#.

Thank you for the info regarding S&B ammo. It sounds like this ammo just might not be a great fit for this gun. Like I said, I have also had a few light primer strikes with Blazer Aluminum 115 grain and Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ, but the ratio is way higher with the S&B.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I believe that Beretta uses a 14lb mainspring in their action tune along with their polished trigger bar. It sounds like you are at about 5K rounds which means that it’s time to replace your recoil spring, trigger return spring, and mainspring. I bet that fixes it.

BTW, there are a lot of high volume Beretta shooters around this forum who used 14 and even 13 lb mainsprings in their carry guns. I suspect that most are performing the maintenance that I mentioned every 5K rounds.
    Do you mean you believe Wilson uses a 14lb mainspring in their action tune? That is what I need to confirm with them.

I understand replacing the recoil spring at 5000 rounds. Can you let me know why the trigger return spring needs to be replaced at 5000? I'm also curious why a mainspring would need to be replaced at 5000 as I thought I had seen reports of those lasting for tens of thousands of rounds (the one on Langdon's PX4 Compact lasted like 50k, didn't it?).

Thanks again for the info, all, as it is greatly appreciated and I am doing my best to learn more about this platform.
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

When I've run a 13# mainspring for a shooting season (competition, practice, dryfire), I may eventually get an occasional light hit that fires when struck again. Then, I know it's time for a new one. The chrome silicone springs should last longer - we'll see.

I have also broken a couple trigger return springs during dryfire. I replace them in my primary match gun each spring. I haven't broken a chrome silicone one yet.

Beretta uses that hard ass mainspring for a reason.

You found out why.

Use a stock D spring and change it every 5K to be safe.

Hammertime
    Install D Spring and the problems will go away.

You could also replace the trigger bar with a Wilson Combat trigger bar. Turns out that the tolerances of the stock trigger bar have a fair amount of variance, and that the hammer may not have as much arc as a result, and you may experience light strikes with a lighter mainspring. The WC unit fixes that conditiin. Even better, the LTT 'Trigger Job in a Bag' includes the WC trigger bar.

Site Supporter
    In addition to the spring issues mentioned another possibility is crud in the firing pin channel causing issues. What are you using to lube the gun ?

User Tag List