Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock 45 @ 25yds with 6 different Duty Loads

Gen 5 Glock 45 @ 25yds with 6 different Duty Loads

I spent some time on the range with @karmapolice this morning testing six different duty loads (among working on some other things as well):
    -147 HST
    -147 Gold Dot
    -135 +P Critical Duty
    -135 +P Federal Tactical
    -124 +P Gold Dot
    -115 +P Barnes TAC XPD

The orientation of this range is such that the sunrise is just over the targets left shoulder (so in the shooter's eyes and slightly to the right). Not nearly as ideal as having the sun at your back, but it's what we had to work with. Just mentioning it as it may account for some of the slight left bias as the sun came up. I got Karma to hold a jacket and block the sun for me when I re-shot the 135gr strings and they centered up. The sun was conveniently behind a cloud for the 115 and 124 gr strings.

Observations of the ammo's in general: FK 124 +P Gold Dot. That was the least comfortable load to shoot by far. Barnes 115 was by far the most pleasant, but was noticeably smokier.

Targets in order as they were shot. All targets fired as a single string of 10-shots standing freestyle @ 25yds. Each group shot in a minute or less (realistically most were about 30 sec).

1. I began with a "control" group of 115gr Fiocchi as that's my training ammo and I already have a good idea of what it will do and where it hits. Today's first run was a 94:

2. 147 HST

3. 147 Gold Dot

4. 135 +P Federal Tactical

5. 135 +P Critical Duty

6. 115 +P Barnes

7. 124 +P Gold Dot

8. 135 +P Federal re-shoot:

9. 135 +P Critical Duty re-shoot:

This was with my G45, 648 that has the Ameriglo .125 x .180 tall front (tritium w/pro glo green) and .150 x .256 tall rear holding tops of blades covering 2/3 of black. I was impressed with the consistency of the POI overall. In the past with Gen 4 Glocks I've always had 147's shoot 2-3" high. That's not the case with the Gen 5 guns. To be honest, all of these loads are on @DocGKR 's list and would work fine. I already have several mags of 147 HST loaded and don't plan to change them out, but all future HD/"duty" pistol ammo I buy will be 147 Gold Dot. I feel it had the best accuracy and closest POI to my training load; which was one of my goals. It also sounds like a quiet staple gun out of my suppressor.

Hope you like it!
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-02-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

What were the group sizes for each test?

Thanks for the review.

Do you think the G19.5 and 19.4 are similar in accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't shoot 147 grain much and might be full of crap, but I swear I generally see 147 print left of where 115 and 124 weights impact. That jumped out to me in the pics.

Thank you for all that work. That's pretty cool.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Just from looking at the pictures of target #4 I would say the 135+p federal tactical was the most accurate judging by the group in the 9 ring although it was somewhat left, it was very tight and I believe may reflect the true potential of that round.
    Last edited by GOTURBACK; 02-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    What were the group sizes for each test?

Thanks for the review.

Do you think the G19.5 and 19.4 are similar in accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Not sure on group sizes. Don’t have software to measure that. Blacks of B8’s are 5.5” for reference.

I do think the Gen 5 guns are more accurate based on the Gen 4 G17’s I short for 5 years before Switching to G45’s at the beginning of January.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I don't shoot 147 grain much and might be full of crap, but I swear I generally see 147 print left of where 115 and 124 weights impact. That jumped out to me in the pics.
    I've seen that, too, and not just in Glocks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Solid 25 yard work. Well done.

Defoor has a 25 yard group with the 43x posted that looks about the same.
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 02-03-2019 at 12:17 AM.

The fact that you know the sun pulls your groups, makes me smile. Well done.
    Taking a break from social media.

Just picked one of these up and really digging it more than I expected. Switched out the sights for Trijicon Nights and added the TD SCD. Mine is shooting about an inch left and 3 inches high at 21 yards. Forgot to bring my sight pusher to the range today, so will have to wait until next trip to adjust. First time shooting with Federal HST 147g +p...man that stuff rips!

Name:  IMG_E0250.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  44.2 KB
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 02-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Good Shooting Master Blaster. Just move your rear sight approximately .008 to the right before you go back to the range.

User Tag List