Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vedder LightTuck Holster Review Part 1

Vedder LightTuck Holster Review Part 1

I’ve been using a Vedder holsters for some time now. My primary edc (Walther PPS) has been sporting one for some time. So now that I’m switching up my carry rotation to Glocks, and my 43 has proven itself worthy of the hip, I figured it was time to finally get it some kydex of its very own. Enter the Vedder.

Name:  1D5770C6-051A-49B1-A718-0AAF11861580.jpg
Views: 5940
Size:  67.6 KB
    https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/

I ordered a LightTuck with the claw. I’ve never used a claw, but hey, why not? The literature said it would push the pistol closer in for better concealment. Who doesn’t want that? Well, maybe me lol. But more on that later.

Right away I was impressed. It came in a cool little bag with a sticker and some paperwork. I immediately thought, “Wow, they’ve really upped their game!” The lines are clean. Everything is sanded and smooth. The screws are still philips which is cool. I mean who doesn’t have a philips screwdriver. But I noticed that thier standard belt loops are now metal. That’s a nice touch.

Name:  8EAA2C67-A36B-4526-BD5B-65B0B28F9029.jpg
Views: 6842
Size:  57.3 KB Name:  B57EF47D-358B-485B-967E-C23D6BE92CD5.jpg
Views: 4746
Size:  59.5 KB

I’m not joking when I tell you I was impressed. I even checked my other LightTuck - I just didn’t recall it being so “clean.” But it was. Well not literally. I actually probably should clean it lol. But Vedder really does a good job. The kydex is perfectly formed and just the right thickness. The gun fits perfectly. Perfectly!

Again. Pretty happy! The holster is sound and awesome. But when I put it on, I discovered I hate “the claw.”

Part 2

As soon as I put the holster on, that claw went into action doing exactly what it’s supposed to do! Pushing the weapon in closer to me.

Name:  01AD70D3-E1F7-44E0-9C55-8C5C482AA7DF.jpg
Views: 5315
Size:  31.8 KB

It works!! But I hated it! Now, this is no fault of the maker, but it’s an “in order to pay Paul we rob Peter” kind of thing. It pushes out my steel reinforced belt just enough to create a gap big enough to drive me bonkers. Moreover, tucking in my shirt just isn’t going to work as well. Nope - didn’t like it at all. It had to go.

Now taking it off wasn’t an issue. What WAS an issue was that the screw they used was long enough to accommodate the hook. So with it gone, it extended out the back - yeah, no. That would not be comfortable.

No problem, I have tons of screws, washers etc. from all my other holsters. It was pretty simple BUT, now I’ve got Allen screws and Philip screws going on... bah. It would have been nice if Vedder anticipated this and shipped with an extra screw and washer.

Name:  F21387FC-6CFE-4AF9-9C0A-774F60661842.jpg
Views: 3632
Size:  42.1 KB Name:  7137F161-51AA-4ECB-A62A-5CA3A4FF5EE7.jpg
Views: 4039
Size:  53.7 KB

Now I KNOW, if I contacted Vedder they’d send me everything I need, but I’m not sure I care enough to do so. So know that.

Anyway, of course it worked perfectly now. As you can see, the gun isn’t pushed in as closely anymore, but, but that gap is gone too! Yay!

Name:  F1069832-C6F6-4377-B9C7-6F12D4A9465B.jpg
Views: 3647
Size:  25.6 KB

But for some crazy reason, all my playing around with it made the extractor on the loaded 43 hit the edge of the holster when putting the weapon in. So now that had to be fixed.

Name:  11D3B98F-656F-4C1D-9E14-44AAA4BA30B6.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  23.1 KB Name:  4125BA60-6BE0-46EF-B691-391A50FDFFFF.jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  23.5 KB

Which was stupid easy. A little sanding and balm - perfect!!

I’m really liking this holster. And the two other LightTuck’s I own. I honestly recommend them. Just know that the hook might not be for you.
    Last edited by Port; 02-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Vedder LightTuck Holster Review Part 1

I have 5 Vedder Light Tucks and never got the claw.
    The red looks good in the photo. I usually get black but my last one was for a FDE CZ P10C so I got a FDE Light Tuck. Love how it looks.

I may get a red one for one of my other guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by PistolB; 02-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Looking good @PistolB

The red does look pretty good actually. I get different colors for different guns. Just makes things easier for me.

Seems like you need a less rigid belt to counter the claw pushing your belt out.

As for the holster, bad fitment to the gun requiring some modification is no bueno.

Truth be told I see them (Vedder) as just another fish in a massive ocean of kydex benders doing just good enough most people will fork over money and proclaim them the best. From the start of my journey carrying I’ve settled for subpar holsters that were good enough, but I didn’t know what I didn’t know in regards to what makes a solid holster and how well they can be made.

They’re good at marketing, and are all over my darn FB and browser. But you’ll find the folks here tend to have found what works beyond simply being something to shove the gun in. Some might call us insular, but the preferred holsters have been through the ringer. We’ll give something a fair shake, but most holster makers are in it solely to make money and usually don’t themselves carry extensively.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 02-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I like the vedders for more concealable pistolas like PX4CC and the P365. Not a fan on bigger pistols. Have them for the G19, PX4 and 1911 and definitely prefer Darkstar and JMCK.

If there is a fit problem with a Vedder they will make you another one or give you your money back. No questions asked. I did with my Sig 1911 that has a traditional slide and I ordered a holster for the Sig slide.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Seems like you need a less rigid belt to counter the claw pushing your belt out.

As for the holster, bad fitment to the gun requiring some modification is no bueno.

Truth be told I see them (Vedder) as just another fish in a massive ocean of kydex benders doing just good enough most people will fork over money and proclaim them the best. From the start of my journey carrying I’ve settled for subpar holsters that were good enough, but I didn’t know what I didn’t know in regards to what makes a solid holster and how well they can be made.

They’re good at marketing, and are all over my darn FB and browser. But you’ll find the folks here tend to have found what works beyond simply being something to shove the gun in. Some might call us insular, but the preferred holsters have been through the ringer. We’ll give something a fair shake, but most holster makers are in it solely to make money and usually don’t themselves carry extensively.
    I never thought about that. Perhaps if I didn’t wear gun belts the claw would in fact be perfect. Ha. Fact is though, over the years I’ve narrowed all my belts down to reinforced gun belts so...

Like I said, I’ve been using a Vedder for years. They seemingly have worked well enough for me, considering that I’m now on my third lol... but hey! Perhaps as you suggested, I dont know what I don’t know, but they aren’t the only brand I’ve bought. I’m not going to complain if I’ve got to adjust something after I remove a major design element. I’ve suffered much worse from a holster.

Anyway, if they are merely good enough that people will spend money on them, tell me who I should be throwing my money at instead. I’m always game to hear of a vendor that’ll provide me with massive amounts of consumer surplus! Heck yeah. A better holster for less than $70 has my interest. I’ve got a G48 that needs a single clip IWB holster too.

For me personally before price a holster has to have great trigger guard protection great retention and great belt retention and comfort.

I’ve bought cheaper Kydex holsters and one of the 3 was always lacking.
    In my experience Vedder checked all the boxes.

I’ve fallen backwards in a chair with a Glock 19 in a Vedder Gun didn’t move holster didn’t move.

I’ve had less expensive holsters not stay on my belt just stuck between my hip and pants. It would move off my belt just from walking.

They make a good little pocket holster for the .380’s called the Pocket Locker.

I never went for their IWB options because the JM Custom IWB 3 is priced right and the cream of the crop.

User Tag List