Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An embarassing chase for a one hole group.

Using a M&P9, based on my experience with their lack of accuracy, is not conducive to shooting one hole groups.

In my experience,lack of a ragged one hole group at close range is caused by shifting focus from the front sight to the target and back to the sight between shots. I think you can get the one hole group if you just forget about it and focus on the front sight.

I have been playing a similar game with my .45 1911 lately, maybe some of my experiences will help, or at least not be too boring to read. Going for tiny groups at 7 yards. The original reasoning was to take the gun out of the equation...wow, you're shooting skills, or lack thereof, really show up quick. I get the occasional 5-round one (big) hole, some terrible, like 3", average is probably around an inch+. This game and another one (shooting playing cards @ 25 IIRC with my Single Six) made the importance of a light trigger, trigger control and grip very apparent. A very light trigger makes it easier, heavy trigger requires more skill and work, really, it's just plain harder. How you grip the gun affects where it shoots, regardless of sight alignment, due to recoil.

The other thing I would say, is to echo the others, and I think you need a smaller aiming point. I have some targets I printed that I downloaded somewhere a while back, bunch of little dots on an 8x11. or I juts sharpie some little circles or Xes on. One thing I noticed that helps is shooting off white or yellow card stock. Im bright sunlight, stark while paper gives me a blurry halo effect.

Man, I'd love to have a gun and the skills to shoot one hole at 25...some can, I think me and this old Colt's best is about 5". You might read up on bullseye shooting, lots of good info out there related to what we're trying to do.

Have fun, I am!

User Tag List