Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VA Gov. Northam and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    He'll probably go. His Lt Governor is at least as bad as he on all policies that matter. Nobody wins.
    If he stays, I think the republicans win during the next election cycle. He can't be re-elected, but he's a good guy to run against as he's a representative for the democrats.
    Last edited by JV_; 02-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    If he stays, I think the republicans win during the next election cycle. He can't be re-elected, but he's a good guy to run against as he's a representative for the democrats.
    Yeah, but I don't think he'll stay. If Fairfax takes office he's eligible to exploit a loophole in VA law limiting governors to a single term (if I'm not mistaken). Meaning he can serve and then run as an incumbent in the next election.

Site Supporter
    IMO, if the pressure is sufficient for him to resign, he has a pretty low change of successfully running again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    IMO, if the pressure is sufficient for him to resign, he has a pretty low change of successfully running again.
    Not Northam. Justin Fairfax.

Site Supporter
    And this just in from VCDL. LOL. I don't think this will be an effective tactic but gotta love em - they're relentlessly focused on the issue.

If Northam is truly apologetic for that photo, he also needs to walk away from his gun-control agenda. Gun control has its roots in racism in America and it still mostly affects minorities and the poor, taking away their ability to protect themselves.

Gun-control began during the years of slavery and escalated with the Emancipation Proclamation. Gun control was used by Southern Democrats to keep newly-freed slaves from being able to defend themselves from oppression by groups such as the KKK. While technically free people, former slaves were effectively blocked from gun ownership, keeping them delegated to the status of second-class citizens.

Our constitutional and natural right to self-defense needs to apply to everyone, including minorities and the poor. We call on Governor Northam to stand with VCDL to correct that historical inequity and work with VCDL to eliminate all racist gun-control.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    Not Northam. Justin Fairfax.
    Gotcha, I mis-understood.

The plot thickens.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ralph-n...-in-blackface/

https://archive.org/details/bomb1981virg/page/90

CBS News uncovered a page from Northam's yearbook at the Virginia Military Institute that had nicknames listed underneath his name. One of them was "Coonman," a racial slur.

I have never heard "Coonman" as a racial slur.

Coon is a slur if directed at a black person, but Coonman?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I have never heard "Coonman" as a racial slur.

Coon is a slur if directed at a black person, but Coonman?

What is the likelihood that a guy with a college/military school moniker of "Coonman" can deny being either of the guys (Blackface or KKK) on his yearbook page, and get away with it? Isn't it the denial/lie that almost always sinks a person?
    Last edited by JohnO; 02-02-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    What is the likelihood that a guy with a college/military school moniker of "Coonman" can deny being either of the guys (Blackface or KKK) on his yearbook page, and get away with it? Isn't it the denial/lie that almost always sinks a person?
    Zero. And yes.

User Tag List