Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

I just got the shipping notice for mine. With all of the reviews on here I don’t know what to expect.

My replacement pair is too small so I’ll be returning those too and going up half a size from that. Hopefully third time’s the charm.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Anyone gotten their GoRucks? I gave in on the last day and ordered a pair but I haven’t heard anything since the order.
    I have a set from when they first came out.

They are really optimized for what they are designed for (not sure that hiking and work qualify), but they are damn good in the context of an extremely lightweight, minimalist, jungle boot with an athletic sole.

For me, it is a perfect use-case fit. I have redwing Iron Rangers and another pair of boots that I alternate for wear at the office, and I wear the goruck shoes for range and other more "tactical" activities.

The foam rubber of the sole has gotten a bit chewed up around the edges of the actual sole, but they have otherwise held up really well to some moderately hard abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    - for daily wear and about 50% of my hiking, I've switched over to Altama "OTB" Maritime Assaults. .....TFB recently did a review on them as hiking boots - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ma-otb-review/
    Just a note to anyone who likes these Altama OTB's, I went shopping for a second pair of the low cut version this morning and it appears the inventory (especially solid colors in my size) is getting quite scarce all across all of the web sources. They might have been discontinued based on what I am seeing. I like them so much I scrounged around and laid in two more pair.

For my non dress needs, I went with Whites Smoke Jumpers. They support my custom orthotics well. Feet are felling better.

I have several 20 plus year old Whites, all Smokejumper last. They supported the orthotics well, enough room, solid base.

I bought some new ones and am happy.

Normally wear 14 D, Whites Smokejumpers 13 D provides a great fit.

Only downside is 6 1/2 pounds per pair.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    For my non dress needs, I went with Whites Smoke Jumpers. They support my custom orthotics well. Feet are felling better.
    I have several 20 plus year old Whites, all Smokejumper last. They supported the orthotics well, enough room, solid base.
    I bought some new ones and am happy.
    Normally wear 14 D, Whites Smokejumpers 13 D provides a great fit.
    Only downside is 6 1/2 pounds per pair.
    Been thinking for a while now about getting a pair of Nick's with the low arch as a general work boot, but the weight is just so off-putting. I know I would have a pair of boots that will last many years, but so far that hasn't been enough to pull the trigger.

Any recent updates from Goruck boot owners? My Keens are nearing end of life and my Altras are too fragile for off trail.

Site Supporter
    Wife put on her New Balance walking shoes. Had them a few years. The soles just crumbled in to crap. I had that happen with a pair of them also.

So many manufacturers have shoes and boots with built in disintegration it seems. I had two pairs of LLBean boots do that. I did get my money back though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I walk 6000 to 7000 miles a year -- about half of that outside on concrete and asphalt. Does anyone have a recommendation on boots/soles that could handle that sort of mileage? Any idea on how often I'd need to get them resoled/rebuilt?
    While I haven’t kept track of the mileage, and they’ve mostly been used as gym shoes for the last few years, I’ve been very surprised by the durability of a pair of New Balance Minimus Trail shoes I bought in 2012. They’re still in serviceable shape.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I walk 6000 to 7000 miles a year -- about half of that outside on concrete and asphalt. Does anyone have a recommendation on boots/soles that could handle that sort of mileage? Any idea on how often I'd need to get them resoled/rebuilt?
    A couple of years ago I was averaging 10.5 miles a day, often under loads mostly on concrete/asphalt at work outside. I’ve been happy enough with the Scarpa Kailash. I still went through about 2.5 pair a year, but I could wear the rubber down to the midsole foam before the soles came unglued. Hot asphalt caused noticeably more wear on anything I’ve tried which is something to be aware of considering your location. Winter time wear patterns were noticeably slower even putting in similar miles

I never found a re-soleable boot that was light enough to not cause undue fatigue, hopefully somebody else has because spending 500 a year on work boots kinda sucks.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List