Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

BTW - for daily wear and about 50% of my hiking, I've switched over to Altama "OTB" Maritime Assaults. The shoes are extremely durable and flexible, without compromising support significantly. The soles are extremely grippy, as in, walk on ice without crampons or yak-trax grippy. My first pair is now 2-years old being worn virtually everyday when there isn't snow on the ground and the temperature is above 10F. I'm just now thinking I might replace them at the end of the year. For hiking I've found them very abrasion resistant and I prefer the flexibility and traction (I find a slip less when I can feel more). Weight wise the shoes are less than half the weight of my Asolo boots.

TFB recently did a review on them as hiking boots - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ma-otb-review/

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I take a 4E or 5E width, depending on last. Thorogood might be excellent, but they don't make my size.
    My son wears a 12 6E, which makes it almost impossible to find shoes of any kind. We're convinced he's a really tall Hobbit

We found a pair of Wolverine hikers that are great so far after almost a year. The New Balance were never in stock.
    Last edited by iWander; 02-02-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I would not recommend Merrells as far as durability is concerned. YMMV I stopped buying them after my fourth pair fell apart.

Danner, Red Wing, and La Sportiva are a few I'd take a look at if I had to buy boots tomorrow. Keen also has a Utility series that is supposedly decent.
    I wore Danners for years. It's funny... the last couple Danners I've bought didn't hold up well, and that's when I switched to Merrell. Admittedly though, I'm not nearly as rough on boots in my current position as I once was, so maybe I just haven't noticed the durability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    I wore Danners for years. It's funny... the last couple Danners I've bought didn't hold up well, and that's when I switched to Merrell. Admittedly though, I'm not nearly as rough on boots in my current position as I once was, so maybe I just haven't noticed the durability issues.
    Between changes in use and companies changing manufacturing methods it's hard to keep up, I believe it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    2 problems.

I have worn boots all of my life. In the past 10 years I have noticed a new problem.

The boot soles / midsoles would come apart whether you wore them or not. I have had this happen with Vasque and Saloman.

The foam and glue decomposes in many newer style boots. This makes buying spare boots to put back ineffective and a waste of money.

My older boots of traditional design, Whites logging boots do not decompose like this.

I need boots that will provide a solid base for custom orthotics. Too soft insoles, midsoles made the orthotics not effective.

Any help ?

Thanks.

Why not stick with White's? I'm a huge fan of that brand and they can be done with orthotics.

Reach out for Eric Kinney there and he can square you away.

IMO Redwing and Thorogood can't touch a White's boot.

My Lowa's work very well with my orthotics. And after a year of heavy use both pairs are in excellent shape
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Stay away from LL Bean brand. I've had two pairs come apart with the sole/glue decomposition problem. I go with Danner's now. I have to find ones that come in wide sizes though and that's limiting.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    For those of us with paddles for feet: http://www.wideshoes.com/ Hitchcock shoes is a decent resource. Even if you don't buy from them, they are a good way to see what manufacturers make what particular style you are interested in so you can shop around a bit.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I'll second the Keen and Redwing suggestion.

Work boots and hiking boots aren't the same thing. When I finally bought a pair of Keen boots to replace my work boots for hunting and hiking it was a revelation.

These days I'm trending toward lighter duty for hiking. Big fan of the Altra Lone Peaks either in trail shoe or mid top config. Did a 50 mile ruck in these back in November. Didn't get a single blister despite my feet being soaked from rain.

User Tag List