Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

I'm another guy that walked away from Merrells. The first pair of Merrells I had years ago lasted a long time. Then multiple pairs blew out in short order. Their quality went down the toilet.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I would suggest thorogood over new redwings
    I take a 4E or 5E width, depending on last. Thorogood might be excellent, but they don't make my size.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I take a 4E or 5E width, depending on last. Thorogood might be excellent, but they don't make my size.
    Holy shit dude I guess you don't have trouble treading water

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Holy shit dude I guess you don't have trouble treading water
    I was called "sumo duck" at MEPS when doing the physical eval to enter the Army...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I'm another guy that walked away from Merrells. The first pair of Merrells I had years ago lasted a long time. Then multiple pairs blew out in short order. Their quality went down the toilet.
    My experience went the other way - I bought two pair within 18 months of each other. The first wore out quickly (shortly after I bought pair number 2), I'm still wearing the second pair (roughly 6 years later) with little sign of failure.

That said, the rapid failure of the first is enough that I may seek out another brand (Asolo, Keene, Salomon) when these get replaced.

Site Supporter
    I linked all the recraftable boots on the Danner website as a starting point.
    https://www.danner.com/men/all-footw...ble%5B%5D=6985

FWIW-

Durability for your boots seems to be your main focus. Those type of boots tend to be majority leather that have sewn on soles and can be resoled "recrafted" when the time comes. Your 4E/5E width may be so problematic that you may be "forced" into a custom/semi custom boot.

IMHO- What makes a good work boot and a good hiking boot are two different things. All things being equal, I want the lightest boot I can get away with when I hike as every pound on the foot is 5-7 pounds on the back. My experience with Scouting and prepping for Philmont ( 300+ training miles. Philmont itself -100+ miles over 10 days, 30-40 pd pack, 6700 up to 10700 and back down to 6700) has me believing that ankle support/"waterproofness" from high top, all leather, Goretex lined boots are overstated.

Therefore,

The boot I worked in, my "wookboot", would be the sewn on sole leather boot as described above. Buy quality cry once.

The footwear I hiked in, my hiking "boot", would be much lighter in weight and quasi consumable. Simply the cost of doing business as an agile, surefooted hiker. New Balance Train running shoes can be had in very wide widths and Keens have the widest toe box out there on the market.

YMMV greatly and keep us in the loop on what you do with your superwide boot needs.

PS-I would note many of the European brands mentioned and others of their ilk can be had in European sizes making their fit more exact i.e. Asolo, Lowa, Zamberlan, Raicle, Meindl, Garmont, Scarpa, Alico etc.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-02-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Redwings for work. Keen for hiking. I've got Redwings over a decade old I still use to cut the grass. Be warned, they aren't lightweight.
    Another Keen vote. My current pair is going strong 3.5 years and comfy as slippers.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've had two pairs of Oboz for the last 3 years, no issues.

How quickly are you guys seeing your shoes delaminate?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have destroyed multiple pairs of Keens and Merrells, to the point I no longer recommend them. I am, as I type this, wearing a 7-year old pair of Asolos. They double as hiking and winter boots. At this point I suspect I won’t need to replace them for another five years, barring something serious.

I would look for a boot with a welted-style last. Whites would serve you well. Buy two pair, you’ll be set for the rest of your life for boots.

Lowa Tibet is a high quality, bomb proof and extremely comfortable boot once you break them in. They come in leather lined or gore-tex versions. I've hunted in Tibet's for 10+ years and keep multiple pairs in the rotation. For a lighter weight, more flexible boot, I've had good luck with the Salewa Rapace.

User Tag List