Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

Lowa and Scarpa approach shoe/boot have been the most durable for everyday use. My feet prefer the Lowa, seem to fit better at the end of a long hike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I walk 6000 to 7000 miles a year -- about half of that outside on concrete and asphalt. Does anyone have a recommendation on boots/soles that could handle that sort of mileage? Any idea on how often I'd need to get them resoled/rebuilt?

I walk 6000 to 7000 miles a year -- about half of that outside on concrete and asphalt. Does anyone have a recommendation on boots/soles that could handle that sort of mileage? Any idea on how often I'd need to get them resoled/rebuilt?
    Tom, how the heck are you averaging 17 to 18 miles per day?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Tom, how the heck are you averaging 17 to 18 miles per day?
    License revocation?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

You're my hero, Tom. Kinda. Sorta.

Seriously, I admire your discipline.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

You're my hero, Tom. Kinda. Sorta.
    This

Seriously, I admire your discipline.
    Grudgingly, this

Site Supporter
    My goal is 20+. I do it by getting up at what most people would consider obscenely early and usually bang out 10 miles before the sun comes up. The other 7-10 I get in just in the normal course of the day.

No, I work from home and live in a fairly conveniently/centrally located area. Most places I need to go to are within a few miles -- and I don't hate myself enough to plop my fat ass in a vehicle to drive for a few minutes when I have a perfectly good set of feet. Being in charge of my own time/schedule certainly helps.
    Why R U promoting A 3Rd World LIFESTYLE??? THIS is AMERICA where FREEDOM is DRIVING!!!!!!
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Random Observations

1. Somebody told me once never scrimp on on anything that comes between you and the ground. Ergo Michelin Tires and 1st quality shoes since I started working as a salesman at Macy's when I turned 15. (99.99 for some made in the USA Florsheim Imperials 1980ish)

2. Whatever you do, buy two pair, as two pairs rotated back and forth will last far longer than one worn to failure and then the other.

3. Given how much you are walking, I would put comfort and as light as you can get away with well ahead of durability. That may preclude the vast majority of recraftable/sewn on sole stuff.
    Having said that, Lowa, Scarpa and Aslo all make excellent European manufactured boots/shoes.

4. I would look at the Made in the USA New Balance offerings as it sounds like much of your walking is not on a rough trail etc. The postal walkers are not the paragon of style but I bet they are quite comfortable and long lasting.

https://www.newbalance.com/men-2/?pr...ade%20in%20USA

5. If you need a really wide toe box, a first move is toward Keen

If you want a boot... you work hard for the money, buy a boot. Having said that, the "support" the vast majority of boots give over a similarly constructed shoes is way overblown IMHO. If you really need the "support", then you probably need an brace and or tape. If you want a boot because of snakes or various crap slipping into your shoes -ok I suppose. Nearly every trail boot now has a similar low top counterpart to include Goretex/waterproofing if needed/desired (I am not a fan Goretex et. al for most applications as it does not breath at all.)

Let us know what you do.

Edited to add

6. Extrapolating from the running world where the recommendation is to replace every 500 miles max and presuming that walking in a shoe is much less damaging to a shoe than running given the forces involved, I suspect that
    this is a 2 set/ 4 pair party, per year, minimum.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.

AR 670-1 Compliant Boots

I am finding I like more ankle support like I am getting from 8" or 9" lace up boots over the shorter versions of hiking boots. I was totally unfamiliar with this .mil spec (army?) for boots until recently. But there appear to be dozens of makers pushing a wide variety of those supposedly AR 670-1 compliant boots out the door.

The general spec seems to be one that is appropriate for a reasonable 8-9" hiking boot for Alabama trails.

Insulated commercial boots only have any great utility 4 months a year here, and are not appropriate for our summers.

Anybody in the military user community who is familiar with varieties of these have a strong opinion about brands and models?

After about 6-8 mos worth of alternating two pair of Altra Lone Peaks - one waterproof one not. That's it for me. I have to have the Altra style toe box now so simple. I prefer the lighter non waterproof version. I'm fixing to stockpile those like I never did ammo.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Random Observations

1. Somebody told me once never scrimp on on anything that comes between you and the ground. Ergo Michelin Tires and 1st quality shoes since I started working as a salesman at Macy's when I turned 15. (99.99 for some made in the USA Florsheim Imperials 1980ish)

For some years my brother was a developer of tire testing robotics software. In the course of that he visited each major tire manufacturer here in the states and he said he'd never buy other than Michelin. Their testing regimen was like an order of magnitude higher than any other.

back on topic I like Altra but have had great luck with Keens too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List