Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Prefer a 6" height, because I'm 5'7" and 10" boots come up to my knees.

Suggestions?
    Find a big boy inseam?

Sorry, one of my best friends and mentors is an inch or so taller than you; and me, my long ass legs, and everyone around used to give him a hard time about an 18" inseam (which may have started with me, or may not have) when going over fences and walls during area searches. Kinda dumb, since he had the 97 pound GSD, and the strength and endurance to toss the dog into attic after attic after attic. He also cranked out incline presses at a rapid cadence with 200# for a minute straight for single set in a multi set "motivational workout", during his police academy, and is a USPSA Three Gun Grand Master with a GM in Heavy Metal...Maybe my target selection needs some work.....

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-17-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Those are actually kind of where I headed. Do the soles flex a reasonable amount while still offering boot'ish support. Or are they basically just soft rubber clogs with leather around the ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Find a big boy inseam?

Sorry, one of my best friends and mentors is an inch or so taller than you...<snip>
    Sounds like one of my shooting mentors. He is actually an inch or so shorter than me and ain't nobody want to fuck with him when he does UC and SWAT work. Carries a 1911 or a USP in .45, rocks a MEAN Magnum P.I. 'stache, and scares the shit out of guys, literally.

Advantages to being short:

1) You fit in every sportscar ever made, period.
    2) No one tries to fight the short guy when drunk, because he's not big enough to fight.
    3) Much easier to drop into a sprawl and stuff the take down.
    4) An average sized dick looks normal, while a big dick looks gigantic.

Disadvantages to being short:

1) Finding a pair of cargo shorts that don't have 14" inseams and go to your shin.
    2) Nothing else.

Those are actually kind of where I headed. Do the soles flex a reasonable amount while still offering boot'ish support. Or are they basically just soft rubber clogs with leather around the ankle?
    They have a good shank, solid build, nothing cloggish about them. There is sufficient flex for driving and good grip.

They will last for years and they will stand behind them if you have any issues whatsoever. They are also available with Thinsulate or other insulation if desired. For day to day you might go without. I use mine mostly in snow and cold weather.

If that's the path you were going down anyway, I'd give them serious consideration.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They have a good shank, solid build, nothing cloggish about them. There is sufficient flex for driving and good grip.

They will last for years and they will stand behind them if you have any issues whatsoever. They are also available with Thinsulate or other insulation if desired. For day to day you might go without. I use mine mostly in snow and cold weather.

If that's the path you were going down anyway, I'd give them serious consideration.
    Thanks man.

I’ll head over to LL Bean this weekend and try a couple of pairs on. For the general price they cost, I can afford to buy an insulated and a non-insulated pair. Which would get me nicely through any remaining winter(s) here in Chiraq and/or anywhere else I may end.

There is usually only 1 or 2 days a year where insulated is necessary. But on those days, it’s a must. And I am applying to a post-doc position that could put me in Minnesnowta for 3 years...so...

Site Supporter
    Danner Quarry. My job destroys glued boots in a matter of 1-2 months at most. Going on 1.5 years, will need a resole this winter.

Construction work is child's play for my line of work - the mud, dirt, dust, and muck act like sandpaper and dry thing out like no other.

The mud hole previously bragged about.....yeah, that was my worksite for 2 hours today hanging off a rope on a stream bank. The above mentioned boots (goretex and alloy toe) have never gotten damp outside of sweat in the last 1.5 years.

The boots are approaching the 250-300 dollar range, resoles package costs $130 (REPLACE MIDSOLE AS NEEDED, REPLACE OUTSOLE, REPLACE ANY BROKEN HARDWARE, REPAIR ANY DAMAGED STITCHING, RECONDITION, CLEAN & POLISH LEATHER, LACES, INSOLES OR INSERTS)

I'll be getting an insulated pair before winter hits and send in my current pair for the refurb.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 06-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.

I saw that the GoRuck boots are on sale for $125 instead of their normal $195 for the first half of July. They offer a 25% off discount for veterans, current military, .gov employees, etc also and it stacks with the sale price. I figured that for $94 shipped, I’d give a pair a try. The description and thought process behind them checked a lot of boxes for me but the full price was a little more than I was willing to spend. I’m excited to receive them and put them through their paces.

https://www.goruck.com/macv-1/
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks man.

I’ll head over to LL Bean this weekend and try a couple of pairs on. For the general price they cost, I can afford to buy an insulated and a non-insulated pair. Which would get me nicely through any remaining winter(s) here in Chiraq and/or anywhere else I may end.

There is usually only 1 or 2 days a year where insulated is necessary. But on those days, it’s a must. And I am applying to a post-doc position that could put me in Minnesnowta for 3 years...so...
    I have a pair of these I got in 1993. I have had them resoled at ll bean once. I need to send them now to be resewn. They are great.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I saw that the GoRuck boots are on sale for $125 instead of their normal $195 for the first half of July. They offer a 25% off discount for veterans, current military, .gov employees, etc also and it stacks with the sale price. I figured that for $94 shipped, I’d give a pair a try. The description and thought process behind them checked a lot of boxes for me but the full price was a little more than I was willing to spend. I’m excited to receive them and put them through their paces.

https://www.goruck.com/macv-1/
    Been going back and forth on these boots since seeing the email. I need another pair of boots like I need a hole in the head so I’ll probably buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Been going back and forth on these boots since seeing the email. I need another pair of boots like I need a hole in the head so I’ll probably buy them.
    One of my old coworkers has two pairs and loves them. He participates in a lot of the GoRuck events. I like the fact that they look like they’d be okay to wear out and about in town with a light polish on them as well as being a functional rucking/hiking boot.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    One of my old coworkers has two pairs and loves them. He participates in a lot of the GoRuck events. I like the fact that they look like they’d be okay to wear out and about in town with a light polish on them as well as being a functional rucking/hiking boot.

I wish the Coyote brown were on sale. They look like a really good boot. My Garmonts are really good boots but they’re a bit hot and heavy for hiking.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List