Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am finding I like more ankle support like I am getting from 8" or 9" lace up boots over the shorter versions of hiking boots. I was totally unfamiliar with this .mil spec (army?) for boots until recently. But there appear to be dozens of makers pushing a wide variety of those supposedly AR 670-1 compliant boots out the door.

The general spec seems to be one that is appropriate for a reasonable 8-9" hiking boot for Alabama trails.

Insulated commercial boots only have any great utility 4 months a year here, and are not appropriate for our summers.

Anybody in the military user community who is familiar with varieties of these have a strong opinion about brands and models?
    Two Army dudes with quite a few miles on foot.

Elder son is a Garmont fan boy. Doesn't like lightweight "slipper boots" Heaviest concentrated footwork was in Ranger School.

Younger son doesn't have his tab yet like the elder but has logged more real world rucking and patrolling time than his big bro. He loves him the sort of lightweight Nike boots.

I think I'll lean to the latter myself.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    After about 6-8 mos worth of alternating two pair of Altra Lone Peaks - one waterproof one not. That's it for me. I have to have the Altra style toe box now so simple. I prefer the lighter non waterproof version. I'm fixing to stockpile those like I never did ammo.
    I am sad that I am down to my last pair of somewhat fresh Altras. I stockpiled three, and it is time to go buying again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    For my non dress needs, I went with Whites Smoke Jumpers. They support my custom orthotics well. Feet are felling better.

I have several 20 plus year old Whites, all Smokejumper last. They supported the orthotics well, enough room, solid base.

I bought some new ones and am happy.

Normally wear 14 D, Whites Smokejumpers 13 D provides a great fit.

Only downside is 6 1/2 pounds per pair.

Still wearing these with my existing custom orthotics, every day since COVID started. My feet have never felt better.

I bought 3 pair during covid, broke them all in and alternate between 2 pair for daily use with the 3rd in reserve.

When I am doing abusive tasks I wear my old boots so as to cut up the new ones less.

User Tag List