Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?

2 problems.

I have worn boots all of my life. In the past 10 years I have noticed a new problem.

The boot soles / midsoles would come apart whether you wore them or not. I have had this happen with Vasque and Saloman.

The foam and glue decomposes in many newer style boots. This makes buying spare boots to put back ineffective and a waste of money.

My older boots of traditional design, Whites logging boots do not decompose like this.

I need boots that will provide a solid base for custom orthotics. Too soft insoles, midsoles made the orthotics not effective.

Any help ?

Thanks.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Redwings for work. Keen for hiking. I've got Redwings over a decade old I still use to cut the grass. Be warned, they aren't lightweight.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have worn red wings for years they are great boots, my current hikers are asolo gtx,

I would take a look at Hoffman boots they are 4th generation bootmakers in kellog idaho, many models are made in the usa they are not cheap but can be rebuilt completely (I have their pack boots).

For serious hiking boots look to limmer custom boots they are handmade in the USA exactly to your foot, in light, med., and heavyweight backpacking/hiking ratings it's kinda like ordering gunleather though, be prepared to wait.
    Last edited by GOTURBACK; 02-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.

I've had great luck with Merrell boots recently.

Site Supporter
    I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners that are at least 25 years old. Still waterproof, no complaints...
    https://www.vasque.com/USD/product/m...-red-oak-07126

Before that I had another pair of Vasques, I thought they were called cloudwalk, they looked like these skywalks, but some of the eyelets were plastic : https://www.vasque.com/USD/product/m...ss-blues-07114 They developed a leak after 8 years, but I wore them for many more years when I knew I wasn't going to encounter streams to cross. Not a problem here in Texas. Eventually the plastic eyelets broke, but that was only a few years ago.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been using the hell out of keens lately .

Be aware though that keens run a half size small.

A few years ago, I started blowing out merrel's way too quickly. I switched to asolo's which have been fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Redwings for work. Keen for hiking. I've got Redwings over a decade old I still use to cut the grass. Be warned, they aren't lightweight.
    I would suggest thorogood over new redwings

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    A few years ago, I started blowing out merrel's way too quickly. I switched to asolo's which have been fantastic.
    My experience with the Merrel's as well. I've been a big fan of Asolo for many many years. They went through a phase where they used a rubber compound that didn't hold up but it looks like they have worked through that.

EDIT: Oboze seems to make a decent trail shoe. Don't know much about their boots.
    Last edited by Ichiban; 02-02-2019 at 11:00 AM.

I would not recommend Merrells as far as durability is concerned. YMMV I stopped buying them after my fourth pair fell apart.

Danner, Red Wing, and La Sportiva are a few I'd take a look at if I had to buy boots tomorrow. Keen also has a Utility series that is supposedly decent.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List