Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accountability for Missed shots in LE Qualifications

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Accountability for Missed shots in LE Qualifications

Looked through several related threads but didn't find the info I was looking for. As the thread title suggests, what I'm looking for is how your agency deals with missed shots in your in service qualifications. For example, I know that some agencies have a '100% hits somewhere on the silhouette' standard for qualifying, while others score a miss as a negative point. Our own Sheriff's Department does this, but we currently do not. Our standard is 75%, or 27 out of 36 rounds somewhere on the 'bowling pin' silhouette. We'd like to move towards 'accountability' in this area, but this seems to be the one area of LE where 'accountability' is a bad word to some people. I was recently contacted by someone from the Tuscon AZ PD regarding this same issue. They are apparently researching Best Practices in regards to Quals and accountability, but I have no idea when and if their info will be made public.

So, if your agency has a standard that addresses missed shots during an in service qualification, please PM me with the details, and if you don't mind, your contact info. If you wish, that can be totally confidential. I'm not going to post any of this on the forum, it will be for internal deliberations around modernizing our own training and qualifications. Thank you in advance.

There’s a mandatory course/target/grading scale in Ohio. All LEOs shoot that as a minimum. You can do more, but no less. It has +1/+0/-1 zones. So you can have your required 20/25 hits but still fail if you have one in the -1 zone.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Greg Ellifritz has it posted over on his site.
    http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...lification.pdf
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

On the Federal side, the FLETC "standard" qualification counts off-silhouette shots as "0"s - so you lose 5 possible points. Of course, since it's a 60 round, 300 point qual with a passing score of 210, you can get PLENTY of "0"s and still pass.

If I were king for a day, any shot off silhouette would be a hard FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

If I were king for a day, any shot off silhouette would be a hard FAIL.
    I wish that was every agency’s standard. Especially when we consider almost all shoot from no further than 25 yards.
    Last edited by El Cid; 02-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'm aware of several agencies nearby us that use a 100% hits on the silhouette standard....all of them shoot out to 15 yards only. Our standard is 75%, but we do shoot at 25 yards. That is increasingly rare these days. 15 yards is the CA POST minimum....which means it's treated as the maximum by most agencies. As I said in my first post, folks talk a good game about 'accountability', but it's all bullshit. That's Admin talk for "How can I blame this on someone else?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    There’s a mandatory course/target/grading scale in Ohio. All LEOs shoot that as a minimum. You can do more, but no less. It has +1/+0/-1 zones. So you can have your required 20/25 hits but still fail if you have one in the -1 zone.
    Name:  IMG_2602.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  26.8 KB

I'm in Ohio too. This is the target. Anything in the light grey is +1 point. Anything in the dark grey is zero points and anything else is minus 1 point. You need 20 points to pass. Times are liberal, but it's pretty easy to fail if you throw a couple of shots clear off the target. I put the lines of an IDPA target on so you can see the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Name:  IMG_2602.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  26.8 KB

I'm in Ohio too. This is the target. Anything in the light grey is +1 point. Anything in the dark grey is zero points and anything else is minus 1 point. You need 20 points to pass. Times are liberal, but it's pretty easy to fail if you throw a couple of shots clear off the target. I put the lines of an IDPA target on so you can see the scale.
    Thanks for overlaying that. Never compared them before.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Thanks for overlaying that. Never compared them before.
    I never had either until a few minutes ago.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that the U.S. Secret Service scores any hit off of the silhouette as a fail.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List