Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Accountability for Missed shots in LE Qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Seriously, how many cops would fail a qualification if we failed them with a missed shot? Talk about being short staffed!

Not arguing against it...I think it’s a good thing...but my admin would never go for it.
    That’s why LSP dropped the 50 yard stage from their qualification. It was getting cadets booted out of the academy so the agency accepted a can’t shoot as well group going forward from that point. The organizational changes didn’t happen overnight but the overall ability of the agency did drop significantly in the decade following.

Unfortunately, no child left behind has pretty much become the LE standard nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Seriously, how many cops would fail a qualification if we failed them with a missed shot? Talk about being short staffed!

Not arguing against it...I think it’s a good thing...but my admin would never go for it.
    I would routinely fail my Glock 26 qualification.

We have different sights on our Glock 19Ms and Gen 4 Glock 26's. Unintended consequence of budgetary management rules because we're evil government employees intent on raping the American taxpayer for all their money. Lest we wanted our funding to procure new guns vanish, we were forced to prematurely buy the Gen 4 Glock 26 off a DOD contract with standard nightsights, which has a different POI than the Ameriglo sights on our G19Ms.

Then, we were told no, absolutely under no circumstances were we allowed to change out the sights to have matching POIs.....even if we bought the sights ourselves and had agency armorers do the swap.

The result is that I almost always throw a shot or two high over the shoulders at the 25 yard line, because it's about a foot or more difference. I never practice or even carry my G26, so my brain is totally hardwired for the drive-the-dot hold on the G19M.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    TGS....it is that kind of indefensible stupidity in policies that makes me hate people....LE agency administrators more than most.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would routinely fail my Glock 26 qualification.

We have different sights on our Glock 19Ms and Gen 4 Glock 26's. Unintended consequence of budgetary management rules because we're evil government employees intent on raping the American taxpayer for all their money. Lest we wanted our funding to procure new guns vanish, we were forced to prematurely buy the Gen 4 Glock 26 off a DOD contract with standard nightsights, which has a different POI than the Ameriglo sights on our G19Ms.

Then, we were told no, absolutely under no circumstances were we allowed to change out the sights to have matching POIs.....even if we bought the sights ourselves and had agency armorers do the swap.

The result is that I almost always throw a shot or two high over the shoulders at the 25 yard line, because it's about a foot or more difference. I never practice or even carry my G26, so my brain is totally hardwired for the drive-the-dot hold on the G19M.
    I still maintain that if I had to chose to have one firearm drawn randomly from a pool, and one firearm specifically assigned to me. I would take the pool pistol, and have a personally issued long gun. Fortunately, my agency made the opposite choice. (ideally, I would have both...)

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    One thing that irritates me in qualification is when some shooters deliberately do not engage at a particular distance to save rounds to fire extra shots at an "easier" distance. You see it in US Army rifle qualification, where some Soldiers do not even attempt the 300 meter engagements to save rounds for extra shots at the closer targets.

Maybe, something a little less than "any miss is a DQ" and more than the status quo would be that a shooter would get an automatic failure if they fail to get at least one hit at a given distance in the course of fire. There are some COFs where out of 50 rounds there might be only 6 at 25 yards for instance. Incentivize the need to practice at all distances.

That is resolved here by Firearms Instructors always scoring targets after firing from the 25 yard line then continue with the 15, 7, 4, 2 yard shooting.

User Tag List