Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Federal Credit Union (now open to all veterans)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Navy Federal Credit Union (now open to all veterans)

This might be old news to some, but about two years ago the changed their membership requirements. Prior to Feb 2017, you had to be either still active/reserves or retired to start a new membership. I had wanted to get a car loan from them prior to that and been told they were looking to expand. I had no reason to check again until today and found the above info out. They've got some extremely competitive rates on certificates of deposit at the moment.

I'm starting to migrate some of my banking and insurance away from USAA. Checking paying .01% and Savings paying .15% has been pushing me move to credit unions and certificates for most of my emergency fund and other "cash" savings. I've been using Teacher's Credit Union locally (which, despite the name, doesn't require you to be a teacher) but NFCU is beating them on short term certificates.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for sharing. I have been a USAA member since 1982 but I also have started drifting away for banking and other service. Good to have options.

NFCU was always great for us.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I've been an NFCU member since 1994, and it's a great institution. They routinely beat USAA's banking services handily...

I prefer USAA but have both and think they're both good options.

Thanks for the info...I wanted to join a few years ago but I was a few years too late.

Does NFCU also offer insurance?

I'm EXTREMELY disillusioned with USAA. They have been steadily declining the last 15 years.

However, if NFCU provides great service, but is also expanding, I would worry they might decline like USAA. I think USAA's decline is driven by their rapid expansion, causing them to lose focus on providing excellent service for their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Does NFCU also offer insurance?

I'm EXTREMELY disillusioned with USAA. They have been steadily declining the last 15 years.

However, if NFCU provides great service, but is also expanding, I would worry they might decline like USAA. I think USAA's decline is driven by their rapid expansion, causing them to lose focus on providing excellent service for their customers.
    I've heard that but never had anything but exceptional service from them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've heard that but never had anything but exceptional service from them.
    Same here.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've had excellent customer service from USAA, but have found out I've been paying a premium for it. I'm switching auto insurance to Geico and saving about $600 a year.. I'm leaving my homeowner and structure policy on my rental insurance at USAA for now.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List