Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 Year Old Fun

Site Supporter

100 Year Old Fun

I managed to go to the range today with a little historical artifact I recently acquired. It’s a Savage Model 1907 .32 Auto, made just before WWI. This little pocket rocket is over 100 years old, and it was a lot of fun to see just what I could do with it.

This was a very innovative design, especially in 1905, when Major Elbert Searle designed it. It is a striker fired pistol, and the first pistol to use a staggered double column magazine that holds 10 rounds. Weighing only 19 ounces and at 6.5” overall length, it is a true pocket pistol, with 11 round capacity. During World War I the French government bought 40,000 of them and the Portugese another 1,150, but the main sales were in the US civilian market, where the little gun was one of the most popular at the time. Built from 1907 to 1920, total production ran 235,000 pistols.

I put about 100 rounds of PPV and Remington ball, plus 20 rounds of Winchester Silvertips through the gun with no issues and surprisingly good accuracy. Recoil was non-existent.

Leftists are ranting about “semi-automatic assault weapons” right now as if this type of gun was just invented. My 1907 Savage pistol and Winchester Model 1907 .351SLR rifle both have 10 shot magazines and work with utterly boring reliability. Both are over 100 years old.

Need pics!
    I've got a couple of Colt Pocket Hammerless autos (a 1903 & 1908) that are also a joy to shoot. The '03 dates to 1906, and the '08 to 1913.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Very cool! Is it a family heirloom gun that came back into the family, or one that you just always wanted?

I have one like that which belonged to my grandfather. I need to take it to Jackson Armory and have it worked over, so I can bring it to Tac-Con.

That gun does not come with sights, it comes with "suggestions".

I’ve got one too. Ditto on everything all y’all said.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have a 1915 Savage that was my Great Uncles. When he passed away I was asked to check out his pistol that was in the night stand. Loaded, round in the chamber, 5 in the mag and 2 spare mags with 6 each.

I actually carried it as a back up when I was poor.

Bat Masterson used to endorse those, didn't he?

100 yr. +

Nice to shoot a relic... Congrats to you , above .
    A surprised shooting range Bud , arrived as I was shooting my Mauser C96 Broomhandle. 1916 vintage build .
    He said "few people actually shoot these, if they have one." We both took turns after I slid on the original wooden Stock/holster.
    It still hits paper at 20 yds.

(No Chinese ¥ surplus.)Thank God It was the real 7.63 x25 ammo . We shot up almost all , that I had. Portuguese stuff , non-corrosive .Whew.
    Last edited by Matt Helm; 02-01-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Site Supporter
    I remember seeing an ancient ad "10 shots quick!". It showed this person that had killed an alligator with 1907.
    Adam

I love old pistols like that. Those, the Colt 1903 and S&W Hand Ejectors are some of my favorites. Here's a site that was put together by a guy local to me about them.
    http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

Includes the old ads.

Once a year a friend and I shoot our IDPA match with vintage P.08 Lugers; mine is a 1938 9mm John Martz restoration, his is a 1920s 7.65mm John Lawson restoration We have a great time.

Best, Jon

User Tag List