Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty-Grade LPVO at a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    $700 for optic and mount or just optic?

The Leupold VX-R 1-4x20 (not patrol) and an ADM Recon mount will run just under $700. I’ve used this combination for several years with good performance.

Overall, in the Sub $700 LPV range the Leupold VX-R is better than any other option until you reach Trijicon Accupoint, which can occasionally be found in the $650 range. Between the two I prefer the Leupold. I don’t like any of the lower end Vortex offerings.
    The VXR !.5 - 4x20 is $465 at optics planet. I've got one and its fantastic! Capped turrets, 11.5 oz, good glass and eye relief, and its motion sensor activated. Battery lasts 6 months. Its super fast! Mine is in a Midwest Industry QD mount thats also vary light.
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 02-01-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The Steiner reticle is far from useless without illumination. It's, in fact, visible and usable in dim indoor conditions without its own illumination on. Have you actually used one? The main stadia lines (all four of them) are tapered from very thick to moderately thick from outside to center. It drives your eye right to the middle.

I had the same exact scope (Trijicon) that you have. Without illumination, and in a dim situation, the four stadia lines all but disappear to my eye leaving only the crude, huge, segmented circle.

I can't comment on the Vortex because I don't have personal experience with it.
    I’m familiar with the difference in Accupoint and Accupower. This is what an Accupower looks like with no illumination.

Name:  E9D1A4E1-8621-4960-944B-6B50D5ECCECB.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  28.8 KB

Without illumination the Steiner is just a crosshair.

Name:  0A1801B9-A623-4E50-A696-D8F73416689E.jpeg
Views: 1644
Size:  14.8 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-01-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I have had both. Have you?

If you haven't used a Steiner P4Xi you are assuming the reticle is unusable without illumination.

I'm not assuming the opposite. I know from first hand experience that you're flat out wrong.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Having true 1x and the better reticle is worth the squeeze.
    This is personal preference, as I have zero issues with the 1.5X of the Leupold. I actual kind of like it now that my eyes aren’t what they used to be. I think Steyr was onto something when they equipped the AUG with the 1.5 fixed optic. (Though I can’t say the donut of death was a great idea).

As to reticles, on a “patrol” LPVO I prefer a clean duplex, which is another reason I chose the Leupold. I don’t see a need for a milling reticle for this type of work (with capped turrets and likely a second focal plane reticle), and I’m not a huge fan of BDC reticles. A duplex is plenty capable for the ranges that you could identify a target at with 4X power.

I cannot comment on the Steiner, as I have never used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I have had both. Have you?

If you haven't used a Steiner P4Xi you are assuming the reticle is unusable without illumination.

I'm not assuming the opposite. I know from first hand experience that you're flat out wrong.
    Fair enough. I’m flat out wrong then. I’ve never used a PX4. I’ve used a Vortex Razor extensively, which based on reticle pics seems to be very similar. Based on time behind a Razor, it doesn’t work at speed without illumination.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Fair enough. I’m flat out wrong then. I’ve never used a PX4. I’ve used a Vortex Razor extensively, which based on reticle pics seems to be very similar. Based on time behind a Razor, it doesn’t work at speed without illumination.
    Maybe for you it doesn’t, but I notice very little difference in actual timed drills unless the lighting isn’t very good. I had the battery die on my Razor in the middle of a 3 gun match and didn’t even bother to replace the battery. It worked fine, and I’m not that slow so I assume that counts as “at speed.”

I’ve got a Razor HD 1x6 I’d let go of at a good price....

MR/T

I’ve been very satisfied with my Leupold Mk. IV MR/T 1.5-5, with an illuminated 5.56 BDC. Probably easy to find in your price range since it’s not the latest hotness. Good eye relief, does most everything I could want a carbine optic to do.

For the price you are wanting I’d choose a Steiner. It punches far above its price tag.

Site Supporter

Steiner P4Xi Price Increase Upcoming

This morning I ordered a Steiner P4Xi from Doug at Cameraland NY: https://cameralandny.com/shop/steine...iation=1467309. During our call, Doug mentioned that the price of this optic is about to increase dramatically due to new tariffs. FYI.

User Tag List