Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty-Grade LPVO at a Budget

Thanks for the responses.

For those saying the Steiner is daylight bright, have any of you shot in NV/AZ type of regions? I’ve found that i can almost wash out an MRO even at max brightness.

Any durability issues after being banged around?

Forgive me for being the contrarian, but the issue I have with the Steiner is the same as I have with the Vortex: if your battery dies the scope is useless (you just have a crosshair at that point). One of the big pro's to me of the Accupower is that the reticle is still 100% viable without illumination. Also very flat/clear image and miles of eye relief.

I no longer use an Accupower and am using the Nightforce NX8 now, but I wouldn't hate an Accupower if that's what I had to work with. Here are some reticle pics in different lighting from mine a few years back: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post334405
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I have the Leupold VX/R Hog Hunter on a personal AR. I chose it over the Patrol model due to the capped turrets. I'd prefer to use it over my Aimpoint equipped patrol rifle, except that I don't know how it would hold up 12 hours a day in a cruiser rack.

I have an Accupower that rides with me in a patrol car every shift. Personally, I love the reticle. I am quick up close with it, and have no difficulty with it at 2-400 yards.

The illumination isn’t daylight bright, but I work swing shift so I’m mostly on duty at night anyways. (I haven’t run into a situation during the day that I wished I had an illuminated 1-4 anyways, so it’s a non-issue in my experience). I run a M600DF and have no issue with the segmented circle, even in the woods. Overall I really like the scope.

Edit to add: I like the scope significantly more than the Vortex PST 1-4. And after using the Accupower and trying the VXR Patrol again (what I used before), I could never use the VXRP on my rifle again. Having true 1x and the better reticle is worth the squeeze.
    Last edited by fwrun; 02-01-2019 at 03:23 PM.

I've been very pleased with my Leupold VX-R; it's plenty bright and the eye-relief is very forgiving. If it weren't for the additional bulk and weight, it could pretty much supplant the use of an Aimpoint for me as the "lighted dot" is just a useful for my purposes. I've got about $620 in the scope and the LaRue mount and I can't conceive of any circumstance where durability might be an issue.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have the Leupold VX/R Hog Hunter on a personal AR. I chose it over the Patrol model due to the capped turrets. I'd prefer to use it over my Aimpoint equipped patrol rifle, except that I don't know how it would hold up 12 hours a day in a cruiser rack.
    +1. I love mine. Clear glass, great field of view. Moreover, I love the reticle.
    Last edited by Port; 02-01-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Forgive me for being the contrarian, but the issue I have with the Steiner is the same as I have with the Vortex: if your battery dies the scope is useless (you just have a crosshair at that point). One of the big pro's to me of the Accupower is that the reticle is still 100% viable without illumination. Also very flat/clear image and miles of eye relief.

I no longer use an Accupower and am using the Nightforce NX8 now, but I wouldn't hate an Accupower if that's what I had to work with. Here are some reticle pics in different lighting from mine a few years back: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post334405
    The Steiner reticle is far from useless without illumination. It's, in fact, visible and usable in dim indoor conditions without its own illumination on. Have you actually used one? The main stadia lines (all four of them) are tapered from very thick to moderately thick from outside to center. It drives your eye right to the middle.

I had the same exact scope (Trijicon) that you have. Without illumination, and in a dim situation, the four stadia lines all but disappear to my eye leaving only the crude, huge, segmented circle.

I can't comment on the Vortex because I don't have personal experience with it.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-01-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The Steiner reticle is far from useless without illumination. It's, in fact, visible and usable in dim indoor conditions without its own illumination on.

Is the reticle usable without illumination with a weaponlight as well, or is it too hard to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    Is the reticle usable without illumination with a weaponlight as well, or is it too hard to see?
    Can't say. Haven't tried it. I imagine it depends on which light you have

Found this FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    For those saying the Steiner is daylight bright, have any of you shot in NV/AZ type of regions? I’ve found that i can almost wash out an MRO even at max brightness.
    I've had no trouble picking it up in a bright clear sunny day over a snow covered field (very bright)

User Tag List