Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty-Grade LPVO at a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Do you have any initial impressions?

Thanks.
    Unfortunately I haven't put a lot of rounds down range due to the shortage. Only ~200 at this point, from 50-300 yards.

It seems like a quality optic. For the price I paid I have no regrets. With the correct eye relief and diopter adjustment there is a very thin occular ring visible. My one issue is I can't mount it far enough forward to get the best eye position. Farther forward=thinner occular ring/shadow.

The illumination works well enough. Not red dot bright, but still visible in daylight. My old PST 1-4 was nowhere near this bright, it only created dark red tint when used outdoors. The SMRS has a reasonably bright dot visible outdoors. I live in GA and shoot in grassy fields and forests. Someone in the desert or winter tundra may find it lacking.

Turrets are good and the built in throw lever works great. At 17.1oz on my scale and $600, I think it's worth the cost and weight.

I'll be using it in a biathlon in December so I'll have more thoughts then.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you for sharing that! The PST Gen 2 1-6, that HCM mentioned, is $600, too. Not sure which way to go between this and the PST, so I appreciate the info.

I think the ADM Recon X will put the scope further forward. I am sure there are other mounts that will do the same. It looks like the eye relief is 4 inches on the Bushnell and 3.8 for the Vortex so that matches your observation. The weight difference is significant. I have taken a look through the vortex and it is nice and the dot is bright. I liked it a lot.

The 5 oz weight difference is significant which is the main reason I went for the SMRS. That and the reputation of Japanese glass and construction.

The PST 1-6 was my original plan. They can be found used for <$500. Changed course when I saw the SMRS deal. SMRS + NF unimount = PST gen 2 with no mount.

If illumination was more important I may be inclined to go P4XI instead of PST G2 just for weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you haven't found the correct eye relief yet, you could swap the free-float tube with an EMR V3. Then you could move the mount forward a notch or two. Not sure if its worth it. Just brainstorming if its an issue.
    Last edited by DamonL; 10-22-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    Further to the “duty grade” LPVO question, I found the following article interesting:
    https://www.defensereview.com/tactic...rossover-part/
    US Special Forces using Vortex Viper PST and Strike Eagle LPVOs in combat within the last few years — because they worked fine and the soldiers couldn’t afford fancier scopes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That article has been posted here before.

Be cautious about the “Special Forces uses it”

Sone dudes buying something for a deployment does not equal tested /issued/approved by the organization(s).

US SF, SOCOM etc issue the Vortex Razor 1-6 and the NF Atacr 1-8.

Not all SF units are issued LPVOs but many have “big boy” rules so guys that want LPVOs instead of ACOGs, Elian’s, M68s etc can buy and use their own optic.

HOWEVER, while those guys can all generally shoot, many are not “gun guys.” they often just use / know how to use what they are issued. They also have families, bills, child support etc so a guy who buys a Vioer PST may have it because it’s what he could afford vs thinking it is “just as good.” It could also be all they could get on short notice before a deployment.

Speaking of which “my strike eagle survived a deployment” can simply mean - I didn’t drop my rifle this time.

And if they do drop that strike eagle and break it, they can always swap back to their issued optic.

The PST is actually a solid optic. It is the same weight as the original and doesn’t have the locking /protected rheostat so it can bump on your gear and kill your battery but otherwise it’s GTG if you don’t need the weight savings of the E model Eazor.
    My PST is fine for what I use it for but this is why you buy a Razor for duty / deployment use.

Name:  744C8BAA-B98A-4C01-8E26-42A56CD5A9C2.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  37.0 KB

In this article, an optics dealer says he see’s damaged Razors more than he should and would not recommend them.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/best-l...expert-advice/

Of course all the recommended optics do not fall into the budget category.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    In this article, an optics dealer says he see’s damaged Razors more than he should and would not recommend them.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/best-l...expert-advice/

Of course all the recommended optics do not fall into the budget category.
    Consider the source. The optics dealer who sells and recommends more expensive optics doesn’t recommend the razor. He recommends the K6i which is a far more fragile optic.

The actual end users / trainers in the article including Kyle Defoe and Alex from Ridgeline don’t share those concerns.

As someone who owns both a razor and the K-6i I personally have seen 3 K6i’s with durability issues - 1 reticle issue and 2 broken illum knobs. I’ve seen one razor with a stuck/damaged turret.

Anyone using a 1-4 LPVO with fixed front sight post? Any thoughts?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Anyone using a 1-4 LPVO with fixed front sight post? Any thoughts?
    I have a 1.5-6 (which isn't exactly what you asked about). I've move to a low pro gas block under the rail but had no issues with the fixed FSB when in that configuration.

User Tag List