Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .380acp , has the SD bullet choices changed?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865927925817

Might give these and their +P cousins a look. They look good in the gel tests I have seen on YouTube and they function reliably in my G42. I am not aware of any high level professional testing, or results from actual shootings with them. Just the same, they are riding around in my BUG as we speak.
    The Underwood Extreme Penetrators is all I carry in my 42. I’ve done informal testing on 2x4s, water bottles etc, and love em.

I guess after that I’d do the xtp’s followed by a fmj.
    Last edited by Port; 02-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Like @Port, I'm carrying Underwood/Lehigh XP 90gr in my LCP 1 Gen2. They chronoed at 1023 fps.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Doc, is the 100gr FMJ preferred over the 90gr JHP? Not sure what bullet type Black Hills is running in the JHP load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Not sure what bullet type Black Hills is running in the JHP load.
    Hornady XTP. Long conical shape, very feed reliable even in some otherwise wonky guns.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Hornaday XTP load in my Ruger LCP custom. It is not a primary and that load has proven reliable and remarkably accurate out of that gun.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you go to your local big box store and open a bunch of boxes of .380 JHP, you'll notice that the 90gr XTP hollow point is much smaller than the rest. It seems to be the only one where they didn't just strike it with a 9mm design. Instead, it's tuned to open reliably but not as much, so it doesn't dissipate as much of its energy with bullet deformation, and it tends to penetrate farther than other HPs, while still opening.

Doc has indicated it still doesn't reliably meet FBI specs in correct gel media, hence his general recommendation for FMJ, but in all the testing I've seen, it's the most consistent and best .380 JHP in existence.

In theory, I like Winchester's (Browning is identical) 95gr FMJ flat point, but you need to hand select it at retail, because the bullet nose forms are totally inconsistent. A wider, flatter nose with a crisper corner is theoretically better for terminal ballistics, but also may lead to feeding issues in some guns. Also, Winchester brass is often wildly inconsistent and not to spec, so you need to carefully inspect every round for defects, especially in the crimping and extractor groove areas.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hornady FTX Critical Defense and Sig V-Crown offered the best combination of penetration and expansion in Luckygunner's gel test.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...-tests/#380ACP

And what relevance does that test have, since it used tissue simulant that has NO correlation with real tissue and that has been rejected by all major wound ballistic research facilities as being inaccurate? It is sad that the results are not useful, given the great visual presentation and how much work was otherwise put into the project.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    And what relevance does that test have, since it used tissue simulant that has NO correlation with real tissue and that has been rejected by all major wound ballistic research facilities as being inaccurate? It is sad that the results are not useful, given the great visual presentation and how much work was otherwise put into the project.
    What other body of recent test data do we have to refer to that is freely available to the users of this forum?
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 02-05-2019 at 12:25 AM.

User Tag List