Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .380acp , has the SD bullet choices changed?

.380acp , has the SD bullet choices changed?

Regarding the previously recommended ball ammunition for SD, has there been any change as to what is the preferred choice of ammo for 380acp? Gun is my wifes G42, local choices are as follows
    90gr brass solid @1000fps
    Hornady XTP 90GR jhp @1000fps
    S&B 92gr Ball.

Are non expanding bullets the way to go for increased penetration? Any advice would be appreciated.

A G42 is a very nice shooting pistol, with mild recoil, and exceptional weight savings. It is a gun that I can also shoot accurately out to 25yrds. The other choice often recommended for such a small and light pistol is a J-frame .38spl. At least for me, a J-frame is hard to shoot well, a huge PITA to reload, and loud as all hell. Plus, most of the time you have to use soft recoiling wad cutters in order to get a reasonable level of shooting control.

For me, I prefer to carry Federal 99gr HSTs. Yes, it is a little shy on penetration in ballistic gel, but I am okay with that. The longer "fast barrel" of the G42 gives the HST a slight penetration advantage over other small .380s. A micro .380acp, or J-frame is not something that I intend to engage a perp through auto glass, or other tasks better reserved for a proper service caliber. The G42 is a "get off me" gun in situations that I would not normally carry a pistol(running, family Christmas get together,....etc. However, it is a capable enough pistol that if I needed to dump mags into more serious threat I can better do that with a G42 than alternatives in the same weight and size class.

The most accurate factory load in my G42, a Sig P230 and a S&W Bodyguard is .380 Federal Hydra Shok. I don’t expect much expansion. Seems to get reasonable penetration.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Last edited by Det1397; 01-31-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Regarding the previously recommended ball ammunition for SD, has there been any change as to what is the preferred choice of ammo for 380acp? Gun is my wifes G42, local choices are as follows
    90gr brass solid @1000fps
    Hornady XTP 90GR jhp @1000fps
    S&B 92gr Ball.

Are non expanding bullets the way to go for increased penetration? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Out of those three go with the Hornady XTP, it should have better quality control and I believe DocGKR or Chuck Haggard has stated in the past that due to lack of expansion it tends to get adequate penetration.

Site Supporter
    I use the XTP or flat-nosed ball in our pair of G42s.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I use the XTP or flat-nosed ball in our pair of G42s.
    This. I am partial to fiocchi’s loading of the 90gr xtp pill.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm bound by department policy to carry nothing but HP ammo in anything I carry for self defense or back up weapons.....so FMJ is out for me.

I have found that both of my G42s perform well in the reliability and accuracy category with Speer Gold Dots in .380 acp. That load has several things going for it. I can get 50 round boxes for a reasonable sum of cash, they are a bit on the hotter side at 90g@990 FPS, I can run FMJ Lawman rounds that have a similar feel to them, and I have yet to have a stoppage with them in range sessions.

For me, I want these in order...

1. Reliability
    2. Accuracy
    3. Penetration

I never carry the .380 as a primary so if I am down to that, things have gone South with my primary pistol or either I can't get to it for some reason (groundfight). My G42s are carried so that I can get to them with the support hand if my primary hand is damaged from gun fighting or my primary hand is trapping my duty piece from a gun grab. Thus, my needs are going to differ from your needs by policy and the tasks at hand.

So choose something that runs well in your G42, buy as much as you can afford, and train with it on a decent basis.

Regards.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865927925817

Might give these and their +P cousins a look. They look good in the gel tests I have seen on YouTube and they function reliably in my G42. I am not aware of any high level professional testing, or results from actual shootings with them. Just the same, they are riding around in my BUG as we speak.

Federal Hydrashok in 380 has limited expansion into the .44"-.46" range, giving it acceptable penetration in bare gel.

With barriers it plugs up and acts like a FMJ.

Best option for 380, in my opinion. You still get the quality control and whatnot that comes with Federal duty/self defense ammo, as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List