Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .380acp , has the SD bullet choices changed?

At one point, I had a CZ 83, (actually, two-the first one in .380, which was unreliable, and quickly disposed of, and the second one, in 9 X 18 Makarov, (one of the first commercial ones imported by the then new CZ USA organization) which was exceptionally accurate {polygonal barrel helped} and reliable. with a very nice DA/SA triggerpull. The problem was, outside of it being a "neat" gun and a nice period piece, I had something as large as a Glock G19, in a less powerful, far less effective and more expensive caliber, with a more complex architecture. After several years of enjoying it, it became trade bait, I believe for my Glock G21.

In some ways I do miss it a bit, but not at all from a pragmatic point. Other that from and aesthetic and sheer enjoyment/appreciation standpoint, it had become obsolescent to my needs.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Color me curious, guys. With the current amount of what seem to be pretty decent subcompact 9mm autos, such as the G43, G43X, G48, M&P Shield etc. and what seems to be pretty marginal and/or variable .380 performance, why the continued interest (in this forum in particular) in .380 platforms?

I get that the Glock G42 (and perhaps others in the genre) is handy, reliable, and enjoyable to shoot. I get that perhaps .380 is the highest power cartridge some of us can convince significant others to use/carry. But with a generally low expectation of terminal performance, why bother? And ammunition price-and availability-wise, it's not like I'm seeing huge bargains in .380 as a financial incentive either.

Best, Jon
    I have several CCW pistols, each one has it's own purpose. I carry a Seecamp .32 ACP when I want to run a quick errand and I can drop it in my jeans front pocket and walk out the door. I carry a Glock 42 .380 ACP in the front pocket of my shorts during the summer. Both the Seecamp and G42 are pocket carry only, always in a pocket holster. I carry a G43 9mm in an OWB holster at 3 o'clock. It conceals very well under a t-shirt. The G43 is my primary 9mm carry gun. I also carry on occasion a G19 or a G26 if I want larger capacity magazine (such as going to a movie theatre). Finally I carry concealed an 11.5" 5.56mm AR pistol in a small unobtrusive backpack when we go to Seattle or take a road trip. I'm always armed when I leave the house. Having this many choices allows me to tailor my gun to the situation.

User Tag List