Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN 509 midsize

FN 509 midsize

Picked up the new 509 midsize yesterday. Dry fired at the shop & a few times before hitting the range. The trigger wasn’t very good. Very gritty take up with a heavy wall. After 230 rounds (200 Aquila 124gr fmj & 30 rounds 147gr HST) the gritty take up is gone & the wall is softer. Fastest trigger break in I’ve experienced.
    By the end of my range session I was cleaning a plate rack between 3.5 to 4.5 seconds. With one 3.15 which is really fast for me. On paper it shot where I aimed with no hiccups or surprises. All said it’s just another Glock 19 sized striker fired, but so far I’m really liking this one. On my way to the 2000 round challenge...

That’s good to hear. I had an early 509, mag release sucked. Very slow to get stuff to market. The 509 is supposed to be a “family” of weapons, which I would guess will include other sizes as alluded to in one of the Shot Show youtubes at the FN booth. Hope they go the Glock 43x route: enough for full grip, thin but good capacity.

So far it seems to be a well made handgun. I seem to shoot better with a blocky grip as opposed to a rounder one. I prefer Glock, HK USP & 1911 style grips over say a Sig 320. Only came with two mags and I can’t find any midsize mags anywhere. Even from FN. I ordered a full size 17 round mag to use short term. Want to use it at my next IDPA match. Hopefully it will fit in the Glock 19 box. The sights are really tall for some reason. I’m working weekends in February so we will see at the March match.
    Already ordered a low ride DARA holster. Slows my draw but conceals better for me.

I'm glad you like the new gun and especially the grip changes that make the magazine catch easier to activate. The magazines are shipping but I do know they are available at MidwayUSA and via the FN Pro Shop last I checked.

Tom

I had an opportunity to handle a midsize frame with an rmr'd tactical slide on top. Balance/size/weight all felt really promising. How long we gonna have to wait for a midsize tactical? I can't see dropping coin on this without the optic solution knowing a good one is already out there.

Tom, can you comment on other upcoming models? Any chance if single stack?

Thanks,
    Dave

My biggest gripe with FN pistols is FN's habit of just dropping support for them with no notice.
    One day magazines and parts are available, the next it's all gone, never to come back.

I personally won't buy another FN service pistol until it's been on the market a few years and they have been in service with a few major LE agencies for a few years as well.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Question

Anybody know how many guns might be involved in the Brink's, Inc. contract?
    https://fnamerica.com/press-releases...elects-fn-509/

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    I'm glad you like the new gun and especially the grip changes that make the magazine catch easier to activate. The magazines are shipping but I do know they are available at MidwayUSA and via the FN Pro Shop last I checked.

Tom
    Thanks for the info. Just ordered 2 mags & night sights from Midway.

Not a midsize but for a Glock guy he definitely liked the 509.
    https://youtu.be/uT1p0vBbBQI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    That’s good to hear. I had an early 509, mag release sucked. Very slow to get stuff to market. The 509 is supposed to be a “family” of weapons, which I would guess will include other sizes as alluded to in one of the Shot Show youtubes at the FN booth. Hope they go the Glock 43x route: enough for full grip, thin but good capacity.
    I replaced the standard mag release with the tactical one and it solved that problem for me. I like my 509 and am currently carrying it concealed in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster made for a G19/23. Works just fine.

User Tag List