Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 AR

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Had a bad experience with ADCO or just like the other dude better?
    Kind of both. ADCO wasn't bad but they left more tooling marks than I expected, were kind of slow, and I vaguely remember not being crazy about their comms. John almost always responded within hours, had a complete upper rebuild done in less than a week IIRC, and was priced much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    The "just as good" crowd that think anything price higher than a PSA daily deal and you're "jUsT pAyInG fOr tHe nAmE".
    Oh, those guys.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-30-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    The "just as good" crowd that think anything price higher than a PSA daily deal and you're "jUsT pAyInG fOr tHe nAmE".
    LOL, yeah, about that. Here's one that I had the pleasure of turning wrenches on back when I worked at an FFL:

Look what I get to fix:

ETA: well, we won't be using that Anderson lower:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

2019 is shaping up to be a rifle year for me as well. I just got my upper build back from Weapon Outfitters a couple of weeks ago and put 130 rounds through it this past weekend to zero it, function test it, and play around with the LPVO a little.

Receiver set is a Capitol Armory/Mega Arms lower with Hodge Defense upper
    PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube Mod 2
    Hodge Defense 13.625" Wedge Lock rail
    Hodge Defense 14.5" Gov contract barrel with SOLGW NOX pinned and welded
    SOLGW BCG
    Geissele ACH/SSA-E trigger
    and assorted Forward Controls Design/Badger Ordnance/Magpul small parts and furniture.

It's a huge, huge step up from the Spike's Tactical rifle I built in 2010. The reduced size gas port results in an incredibly smooth shooting experience, though I'm going to have to pull the Super 42 buffer system I have in it now and experiment with Sprinco White springs and H/carbine buffers, as the slightly undergassed system was causing failures to lock empty and failures to feed every so often. Geissele has also recommended I try pulling the tungsten buffer weight from the H1 buffer in the Super 42 and swapping it for a steel buffer to see if it works as a carbine weight buffer with the +15% power the Super 42 braided spring provides, so I'm trying to find a cheap milspec carbine buffer to cannibalize (PM me if you've got one you're willing to let go of). I'm sure I'll get it sorted out one way or another.

Regardless, definitely done going cheap on AR parts. The Hodge rail in particular is extremely pleasant to hold; Jim nailed the "warm bar of soap" feeling perfectly once the barrel starts getting hot. If/when Hodge lowers become available, I'm definitely going to try and grab one to make this into a complete AU MOD 1 gun.

LOL, yeah, about that. Here's one that I had the pleasure of turning wrenches on back when I worked at an FFL:
    Ahh yes, the Poverty Pony 95% lowers. Just gotta finish drilling a couple holes.

ASH556 - all ya needed was a good set of punches, come on....

And a REALLY big hammer.

Squared the gas system away. Sprinco White and H buffer has been flawless this weekend after 180 rounds, mostly loaded 2 at a time to try and induce magazine lock failures or failures to feed. I may still give the S42+reduced weight S42 buffer a try in the future but I'm happy to leave it as is now.

The Hodge barrel is also proving its worth accuracy-wise. I shot sub-MOA groups at both 50 and 100 yards with the Steiner P4Xi while zeroing it for 50/200. I'll probably leave it as is unless I end up finding a deal on a DBAL and/or stumble into the remaining Hodge components I need to make it a full AU-MOD 1 (BCG, lower receiver).

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I find the improved machining details and better anodizing to be well worth the $35-50 premium for a Mega Arms receiver over an Aero.

These guys were the best price around on the Mega forged upper and lower before the sale of Mega, and they have worked out a private label deal so the product carries on, at an even better price:

https://www.jsesurplus.com/JSEMATCHE...YMEGAARMS.aspx

They also sell upper and lower individually.

FWIW, Harrison Beene, the owner of AR-15 Performance, recommends Mega uppers by name as reliably producing the best accuracy with his barrels.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 02-04-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    The Hodge barrel is also proving its worth accuracy-wise. I shot sub-MOA groups at both 50 and 100 yards with the Steiner P4Xi while zeroing it for 50/200.
    What was the ammo? Excellent results!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I find the improved machining details and better anodizing to be well worth the $35-50 premium for a Mega Arms receiver over an Aero.

These guys were the best price around on the Mega forged upper and lower before the sale of Mega, and they have worked out a private label deal so the product carries on, at an even better price:

https://www.jsesurplus.com/JSEMATCHE...YMEGAARMS.aspx

They also sell upper and lower individually.

FWIW, Harrison Beene, the owner of AR-15 Performance, recommends Mega uppers by name as reliably producing the best accuracy with his barrels.
    I'd rather have an Aero. That JSE rollmark is AIDS. It looks like some anime/furry logo.

I've asked a few folks for recommendations via PM but felt like I should ask the group here since the info might be of help to others in a similar situation later on.

Basically I have gotten some long guns but haven’t taken much training and only plinked occasionally at the range. The extent of my training is via appleseed, and I plan to take a longer appleseed RBC where they’ll be introducing some intermediate range shooting out to 500 yds. My ultimate goal is to also take some closer in tactical classes to fill in some of the gaps that appleseed does not address. The goal of the rifle itself is to set it up as more of a general purpose carbine. , and I realize some of the gear needed for the appleseed class may not be appropriate for that goal but I’m including it anyways since it’s something I’ll need for the specific appleseed class.

My current rifle is an older AeroPrecision complete upper with their ballistic advantage barrel and a 15” handguard. I have an ALG ACT trigger in there now, but can swap it out for a Geissele SSA-E that I bought during their fundraiser for Houston hurricane relief. A red dot currently sits on there, and I will swap it out for a LPVO, probably a Burris 1-8 XTR II.

The remaining gear I need for class I need recommendations on are:
    • Mounting rings – I’ve gotten good recs on some brands, but more are always welcome. Mostly I need input on how high and forward I should have the scope placed. I know high power shooters want it very low, but I get the impression most of the time for general purpose uses people have a higher mount. I recognize there is likely a trade-off involved.
    • Anti-cant device – I think I have some ideas but any recommendations on best cost to value?
    • Bipod – Harris or Magpul? Atlas prices seem a bit steep for something I probably would not keep on a general purpose carbine.
    • Sniper bean/sand bags – no idea what to get here, should I base it on what people use in competition for PRS?
    • Spotting scope and stand – I have a Leupold 10-20 compact gold ring, should I just get a random desktop camera stand that is mid-priced?

User Tag List