Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 AR

2019 AR

I have gone through quite a few different options for ARs over the years. I have pretty much dwindled it all down to one rifle with premium parts for now, given the fact that I focus almost entirely on pistol or hunting rifles now.

Colt Mid Length upper (mostly because I love the Centurion rail)
    BCM full auto Bolt
    BCM Mid charging handle
    Daniel Defense Fixed Irons
    Comp M5 on an American Defense QD mount
    Surefire mini scout (500 Lumen) with offset Arisaka mount
    Arisaka finger stop with magpul mlok grips
    Aero Lower
    Geissele mil spec parts kit (martime bolt catch also)
    Geissele SSA
    BCM sop mod stock and bcm grip

Name:  HWAAvztFQNS7VjREBm4TbQ.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  37.2 KB

I have a bcm upper I may keep and build a second rifle with. We'll see, doesn't seem reasonable since this gets shot so seldom.

anyone else settle on a new set up?

I settled on my setups at the end of last year. Like you I’m not shooting much carbine these days, but I hunt with the 14.5 and after building the same gun 4 times now (much like a 21” Benelli) I’ve decided a 10.3” suppressed AR is a staple. Honestly I could probably do everything I might ever want to do with the SBR, but the barrel and 8x mag give me peace of mind.

Name:  E00D5242-135A-41B7-B9C4-103B5FF93655.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  104.0 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've had 16" carbine length rifles, 14.5" pinned and welded mid length, 16" mid length, several AK's. The setup that I've come to appreciate as my go to is an 11.5". The one pictured below is a Colt 6933 pistol that I assembled (because Colt doesn't make a 6933 pistol) from a virgin Colt lower from Brownell's and a 6933 upper. All factory Colt fiddly bits inside, I did swap the A2 grip for a BCM Mod 3 grip because I hate A2 grips. Basic Magpul MBUS rear sight and the red dot is a Primary Arms advanced micro dot. (Sorry, only picture I have of it.)

Attachment 34738
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 01-29-2019 at 08:15 PM.

I love ARs. This is my new primary.

I’m also debating a KAC 14.5, if I ever get my Rail Gun sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have gone through quite a few different options for ARs over the years. I have pretty much dwindled it all down to one rifle with premium parts for now, given the fact that I focus almost entirely on pistol or hunting rifles now.

Colt Mid Length upper (mostly because I love the Centurion rail)
    BCM full auto Bolt
    BCM Mid charging handle
    Daniel Defense Fixed Irons
    Comp M5 on an American Defense QD mount
    Surefire mini scout (500 Lumen) with offset Arisaka mount
    Arisaka finger stop with magpul mlok grips
    Aero Lower
    Geissele mil spec parts kit (martime bolt catch also)
    Geissele SSA
    BCM sop mod stock and bcm grip

Name:  HWAAvztFQNS7VjREBm4TbQ.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  37.2 KB

I have a bcm upper I may keep and build a second rifle with. We'll see, doesn't seem reasonable since this gets shot so seldom.

anyone else settle on a new set up?
    I'm not real shot in the ass with the Aero lower, but lowers are nowhere near as critical as uppers. I think you have a great set up there.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I have a few stripped Awro lowers laying around. Haven’t actually built one up yet but the machining is very nice and I know of a bunch of people that use them. You can get them stupid cheap from Brownells and I’ve yet to hear of any issues with them. Plus they offer a mil/LEO discount on their site which has tempted me a few times with their complete lowers.

One of my other 11.5"s is an Aero lower with a BCM upper. I've had good luck with the Aero lowers I've used, and see no reason to go any cheaper like an Anderson or PSA. Plus I like to try to support WA firearm companies when I can.

BCM 16-inch ELW BFH mid-length upper on BCM lower. Geissele SSA, A5 RE with A5H2 buffer. Leupold 2.5X20 in DD mount, WML = Malkoff head and tailcap on Arisaka 300 body and mount. Rifle weighs 7.3 pounds unloaded. Typically holds about 1.2 MOA with Speer LE Gold Dot 75 grain .223 load. After decades of trying many different configurations, this one checks all the boxes for me.

Name:  rifle-2.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  105.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have a few stripped Awro lowers laying around. Haven’t actually built one up yet but the machining is very nice and I know of a bunch of people that use them. You can get them stupid cheap from Brownells and I’ve yet to hear of any issues with them. Plus they offer a mil/LEO discount on their site which has tempted me a few times with their complete lowers.

My experience has been the things Aero makes themselves, like stripped lowers are good but they source their small parts and in my experience quality of those outside parts hasn’t been great. I would rather build out one of their stripped lowers with a known quality lower parts kit and buffer tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'm not real shot in the ass with the Aero lower, but lowers are nowhere near as critical as uppers. I think you have a great set up there.
    I had a good conversation with a couple of guys and they told me I would be surprised by how many companies use aero to make their lowers. They mentioned a few popular ones for whole guns that were surprising.

User Tag List