Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .300 Win Mag hunting loads

Pics for Hambo

Hambo,
    Not up to StraitR photo standards.
    Just a well used hunting rifle.
    I don't hunt with the bipod attached just used it to pose the gun.
    I guess I should take some pics at the range some time.

Name:  IMG_E1736.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by baddean; 02-04-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Nice, did the barrel come threaded? I also like that you paid more for the glass than the rifle.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Nice, did the barrel come threaded? I also like that you paid more for the glass than the rifle.
    No the barrel wasn't threaded. A local smith did that for me. He made a thread protector for it out of a piece an old Beowolf barrel. (He announced that he's retiring this year and I think I'm gonna cry).
    He also cut an 11 degree crown in the process. The barrel diameter is so small at the very end that he had to cut the threads back on the barrel about 3/4 inch to make sure there was enough metal to work with. The barrel protrudes into the can about 1/4 inch. Doesn't seem to effect accuracy or velocity but, due to carbon build up, I have to stay on top of keeping the crown and threads clean during any extended range sessions and when I get home. Oiling the threads prior to attaching the can seems to help a lot.
    I've got a lot more money tied up in glass than I do rifles. I don't understand shooters that go out and purchase a good rifle and then cheap out and duct tape a coke bottle to it.
    Last edited by baddean; 02-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Belted chambers are usually sloppy as they are usually head spacing on the belt. I always use a lee collet die and let the should keep moving forward until I can size off the shoulder. It usually takes several cycles, then bump the shoulder with a Redding body die. The 300 wm is an easy round to load for that likes a bunch of powders, usually 270 win powders work well as the expansion ratio is close. I would not hesitate to look at the Nosler ballistic tip 180 if you want a cheaper, effective round. It is like an x bullet with a dab of lead in the front. I buy in bulk off the shooters pro shop website. 10% Leo and vet discount as well. Favorite load for me is with R17. Just as fast with a bit less bump. Good luck!

Thanks for that info SPJ.
    I'm only using brass fired from my rifle and I set up my headspacing with a Wilson adjustable gauge adjusted for my rifle.
    Seams to be working well.
    I agree that .300wm is easy to load as long as one pays attention to detail.
    Dean,

Sounds like you are good to go! I usually try to bump only a couple thousands when I body size. I use the Redding shell holders to do this. Happy shooting.

User Tag List