Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: any of you john wick types need a suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    JDD, you make it sound like a John wick suit for airsofters
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    . Either you're going to get "made" and killed for it, or you're going to attract attention from retro-philes like Sven Raphael Schneider and get into a conversation so insufferable that you'll eventually eat your concealed Glock as the only way out
    No one is going to get ”made” and killed for wearing this suit because only Walter Mitty’s living out some fantasy are going to buy it.

I take that back. There always some gear-do in the office that will buy anything. So I reckon somewhere there’s a guy that’s the right mix of gear queer and fashion consciousness who just might buy this. But no one is trying to kill him either. So even if he were to get made he’s going to be fine. We don’t have to worry.

I have no idea who the guy you referenced is. I think this is probably a good thing.

(What happened to getting the 3-for-1 “sale” at Jos A Banks and with the extra panel of reinforcement on the strong side, which is carries you over until your first trip to Hong Kong/China, where you have the tailor come to the Marriott and fit you for 5 suits for less than 500 bucks?)
    Last edited by BigD; 01-29-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Their prices are fucking stupid....you can get a MTM suit with similar fabrics for much less money. With the exception of the action back, none of Grayman's features are unique to that company. You can very easily have a concealed police placard, break away buttons, holster liner, whatever, sewn into your jacket. The action back would be great except it'll really make you stand out, since action backs haven't been a thing for a long fucking time. Either you're going to get "made" and killed for it, or you're going to attract attention from retro-philes like Sven Raphael Schneider and get into a conversation so insufferable that you'll eventually eat your concealed Glock as the only way out.

The current go-to working suit at my assignment is Bluffworks which are machine washable, don't wrinkle, and has a bunch of zippered pockets. They're a touch cheaper than Suit Supply traveler line as well, which is my favorite suit, particularly for the unstructured jacket and stretchiness of their wool which accomplishes the same thing as having an action back. Our guys who strictly wore bespoke and MTM suits have even taken to wearing Bluffworks almost exclusively.
    It's unfortunate that we don't have a no shit thread on suits what to buy and what not to how much to MTM, Bespoke, OTR, etc. I bought my first ever full canvas suit for a family members wedding and feel like I probably got robbed. I educated myself on basics but still felt like an idiot asking advice from the guy selling me the suit. I would have gone over to some fashion forum for further education but just couldn't bring myself to so again, probably lead me to being robbed willingly I so could've used some advice though. Maybe it's time to start one.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Suit Supply has a very diverse line.

Bluffworks has a very small line of products. I think their suits come in 2, maybe 3 colors. I think their idea of a sports coat right now is just buying the suit jacket as a separate on its own, though maybe they added a dedicated sports coat or blazer since the last time I looked.
    Suit Supply is a poor fit for me, both due to my build and my styling preferences. Brooks Brothers & Hickey Freeman are more my lane.

I checked out Bluffworks. They do now have blazers, which seems like a more upscale and expensive competitor to the Eddie Bauer travel blazer. At $300 I'm more likely to buy a silk tweed from Orvis or the like, but I'll keep poking around their website and see if anything pops out at me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    It's unfortunate that we don't have a no shit thread on suits what to buy and what not to how much to MTM, Bespoke, OTR, etc. I bought my first ever full canvas suit for a family members wedding and feel like I probably got robbed.
    I could have sworn we did, but didn't come up with anything on a search.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    It's unfortunate that we don't have a no shit thread on suits what to buy and what not to how much to MTM, Bespoke, OTR, etc. I bought my first ever full canvas suit for a family members wedding and feel like I probably got robbed. I educated myself on basics but still felt like an idiot asking advice from the guy selling me the suit. I would have gone over to some fashion forum for further education but just couldn't bring myself to so again, probably lead me to being robbed willingly I so could've used some advice though. Maybe it's time to start one.
    There is some solid advice from Southnarc on a thread on TGI. Sorry for not linking.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I will need to get off my tail and look through TPI after this weekend. Once I've had a chance to wear the suit I will hopefully formulate and opinion and figure out some of the things I like or don't like about my suit and go from there. I feel like I need to have a black suit for formal and a more casual dark navy suit since I'm no longer in and can't just wear service dress or Dress Blues. Not having to scramble for a nice event and being able to take the wife out for fine dining without looking like a slob will be an added bonus.

We also need said thread to cover custom shirts. The place I went does offer hand made shirts from selected materials which would be awesome. I'd love the scoop on those as well. I've always had a hard time finding shirts that fit right. Being broad chested but shorter in stature makes it difficult to find shirts cut to proper length that fit comfortably around the chest/back and have proper sleeve length. I want to dress better as I'm sick of being poster child retired mil dude with BRCC shirts et-al.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know we did, I remember posting a link to some bespoke tailor's advice for tailoring for concealed carry...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    No one is going to get ”made” and killed for wearing this suit because only Walter Mitty’s living out some fantasy are going to buy it.
    Oh yeah, are you sure about that? See here for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    (What happened to getting the 3-for-1 “sale” at Jos A Banks and with the extra panel of reinforcement on the strong side, which is carries you over until your first trip to Hong Kong/China, where you have the tailor come to the Marriott and fit you for 5 suits for less than 500 bucks?)
    That's what a lot of people do.

I still have a bunch of those. There's definitely a difference in comfort and agility between JAB/MW and Bluffworks/SuitSupply Travelers, so much so that I would recommend them for anyone carrying a gun, LEO, GOV, Mil or private citizen CCW (anyone actually ever try shooting isosceles in a regular suit?). Like I said, though, even the guys who previously only wore bespoke from Tony in Beijing have for the most part switched over to Bluffworks.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-30-2019 at 06:15 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I know we did, I remember posting a link to some bespoke tailor's advice for tailoring for concealed carry...
    Suit Carry Thread
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We sure did. I could have sworn I subscribed to it but it's not in my list of subscribed threads after all. Maddening.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List