Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Field Knife Suggestion(s)

Mora all the way, they even have a beefier "field" version now too. They are cheap, disposable, and you won't miss them if they are lost/stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Mora all the way, they even have a beefier "field" version now too. They are cheap, disposable, and you won't miss them if they are lost/stolen.
    I gave one to my brother a few years ago and told him it would be "the cheapest knife you've regretted losing."
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a Halloran Pikal that Tom Jones gifted me for a random draw prize. I like it quite a bit for that role.

The ZT 0620 is my EDC but it is waved... How about this?
    That Halloran is nice. It's a shame that the Spyderco Reverse is out of production now. I prefer to not travel with blades I can't get anymore and I (foolishly) only bought one reverse. That said, I'm going to try working with the RC-3/ESEE 3s that Tom so graciously offered me. If the grip is a little long, I imagine it can be chopped down.

The other pieces I was considering:

An SOG 4" Kiku (shown here in the hand), with the "tail" ground off the end and a custom wrap around sheath.

Name:  sog_ku-2021_web_0005_hand.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  19.5 KB

Or the Böker Plus "Pocket Knife" - a slick little fixed blade design by Mikey Yurco that looks quite promising (This one isn't out yet, but right now our season is schedule for June).

https://www.bokerusa.com/fixed-blade...-knife-02bo522

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The new "Bushcraft" versions are quite nice, but "pricey for a Mora" - https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Bush...web_6501052011 - Particularly given how...meh the sheath is.

The good old Mora 511 "Basic" reigns supreme for me. If I had to outfit a whole crew or a troop or boyscouts or something, this is what everyone would get. - https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craf.../dp/B0728J49TM
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-29-2019 at 10:10 PM.

For the fixed blade, have you considered the Watson Gamboa (designed by our own DB)?

It's a bit on the big side (I've carried it in the CP position but I'm 6'3") and not cheap but it is handy and highly capable for what you want, it seems.

You can find it here and here.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'll second the advice for some version of the SAK for the smaller of your two knives. When I was on active duty, most of the guys on most ODAs carried one.

For a larger blade, I like a Dozier K-9 Personal Utility (https://agrussell.com/knife/Dozier-P...tility--DK-PU3), but any of his smaller blades (Slim Outdoorsman, Straight Personal, Canoe, Whittler, etc.) would be fine.

Sheath options are pretty good, too.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 01-30-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

In addition to the Zero Tolerance folding knives consider the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or Manix 2. I would also consider adding a multi tool like a Leatherman or Gerber.

If I check a bag flying anywhere in the world, a Leatherman goes with me, usually a Squirt, because it’s a very useful size.

If I fly carry on only, I take a Leatherman PS and/or Nite Ize Doohickey. I always fly with EMT Shears on me.

I never travel anywhere in the world, without some form of cutting tool on my person. I def wish we could get back to moderate sized lockable pocket knives on airplanes, but this seems HIGHLY unlikely.

I'd probably go for a Spyderco Native 5 (Salt series) and a Fallkniven F1.

I love the stainless Izula carried like a clinch pick and do that a lot in the summer with a stainless one. That said, the F1 gives you a bit more useable handle for the bushcraft type stuff.

The Spyderco Salt series, plain edge in H1 or LC200N. One of these has lived in my pocket most of the year for the last 6 years. Holds a good edge and sweat, water, etc. don't bother it. Yellow handle helps to keep from losing it.

Since you already have the Leatherman PS you've got the good parts of the Swiss Army knife covered. I carry a Gerber Dime Travel every day (in my opinion the scissors and screwdrivers are better than the Leatherman and cheaper if TSA takes it). Probably the most used item I carry besides the flashlight.

I’ve settled on these two (Strider SMF and Tricon) for a hard use combo. I’ve done a ton of demo work with a strider folder and a DB-L. But this Tricon carries easier and is still way tough enough. It’s not within the budget, though

Attachment 34842

See First Edge USA knives.

www.firstedgeusa.com

The 5050 is “an anvil with a sharp edge”.

The 5150 is their Field Knife

Look on amazon for the best pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List