Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Field Knife Suggestion(s)

These showed up yesterday, courteay of @Tom_Jones - At this point I believe I am set for field knives for a while. The DPx HEST is a compact, but beastly knife, I think it will work very well in all environments. The RC-3/ESEE 3 is nearly the perfect size for general field and camp chore work. The combo edge knife is going to be used when caving, the plain edge for more general work. I definitely will need a concealment-oriented sheath, but otherwise, very solid blades!

Of course many thanks to our #ModsHereAreOkay -

Name:  7CB71C5B-478A-43D3-9E72-58003389A339.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  75.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I’ve settled on these two (Strider SMF and Tricon) for a hard use combo. I’ve done a ton of demo work with a strider folder and a DB-L. But this Tricon carries easier and is still way tough enough. It’s not within the budget, though

Attachment 34842

What sort of demo work are you doing with a pocket knife if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is a DB-L?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    What sort of demo work are you doing with a pocket knife if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is a DB-L?
    Mostly industrial machine breakdown, and removal. Lots of work on the farm, so alot of crate and lumber breakdown and disposal. I normally carry very few tools on me, and I've been pretty reckless about carrying stuff like chisels and sledges, cause i will just smash the back of the knife with a 2x4 or something. I've torn apart door frames and such with a SnG and an adjustable wrench. I'll just hammer the knife in and twist the knife with the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    See First Edge USA knives.

www.firstedgeusa.com

The 5050 is “an anvil with a sharp edge”.

The 5150 is their Field Knife

Look on amazon for the best pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Color me intrigued. Elmax steel... made is USA...

My favorite is a Buck plastic lockback, had it about 20 years, ugly green with a camo nylon sheath. So light you don't know it's there, pretty easy to sharpen for a SS knife. It's gutted and skinned quite a few deer as well as misc. duties. I don't have a suggestion for a fixed blade as I haven't used one since I discovered folders.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Color me intrigued. Elmax steel... made is USA...
    They are phenomenal blades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it sounds like the OP is already set for knives.

But as a point of reference, it's hard to think of a better Folding Field Knife then the Spyderco Military:

It's been on the market for 25 years now, and its extensively proven - this is a relative rarity for many tactical folders, which seem to be released, then replaced by different models over the years.

The full flat ground blade offers excellent cutting performance, while the oversize G10 handle has superb ergonomics, allowing for multiple grip options.

For a very in depth review of the Military (as well as many other knives) Cliff Stamp does the most comprehensive testing around:
    http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/rev...tary_s30v.html

I’m reviving this thread out of curiosity as to how the DpX HEST folder performed.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    There's a lot of sheath options out there for the ESEE that would make AIWB or horizontal belt carry a breeze.
    Not to thread drift, but speaking of concealable sheaths . . .

I think it was 1998 or 99 and I was at the SOF Convention talking to Bill Bagwell regarding a couple of bowies he'd made for me. Conversations drift -- as threads never do <Grin> -- and ours skewed towards concealing big knives. Bill asked his wife, who was sitting behind the counter, to stand up and say "hello". When she sat down Bill (ever the showman) told me she was carrying an 8" bowie. At that precise moment she pulled this huge big thing from beneath her shirt. Whatever she held in her hand sure looked bigger than 8" to me. The secret to concealability was the frogged sheath.

Soon after the Convention I ordered a frogged kydex sheath from Mike Sastre. I think he called it his "Southern Comfort". It's been two decades since then, so no guarantees that Mike is still beavering away, but at that time he was contactable at http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/

That sheath is still in good shape and continues to conceal an 8" fixed blade, especially when carried at 12:00.

That is all. Carry on.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-07-2020 at 08:51 PM.

This past December I decided to upgrade some of my abused Mora's to a stainless Izula and ESEE 4 HM. The 4 is for typical field stuff and is just big enought to baton with. The Izula did a pretty good job as a game knife.

Both hold a much better edge than any of my stainless Moras. I'm happy overall.

Now I'm looking to replace my Kershaw folder that has been beat to hell. It strongly resembles some of the ZT knives so I may go that route.

User Tag List