Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Finding a Jiu Jitsu gym

Are you still in Falls Church? Ryan Hall's gym Fifty/50 is there if you are. Given the traffic in NoVA, having a gym that is easy to get to would be a big plus. I don't know how their offerings have changed, but at one point they were also offering judo and wrestling, the latter of which is normally harder to find classes for as an adult if you have no experience.

Also AsianJedi is up in Nova still and he's a super nice guy, you can probably reach out to him and ask for his advice on gyms in the area.
    Last edited by scw2; 01-29-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

A lot of gyms that offer a myriad of training (BJJ, muay Thai, MMA, fitness, et cetera) will often try to push a "full" membership that would give unlimited access to everything they offer. One of those might go for around $180/month around here, which might be a good value for junkies, but feels a bit steep if you're just looking to wade into a class twice a week.

For a major city with a lot of BJJ academies around, you should expect to pay between $150 - $180 for classes at a good and legit place where a black belt teaches the majority of classes.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Are you still in Falls Church? Ryan Hall's gym Fifty/50 is there if you are. Given the traffic in NoVA, having a gym that is easy to get to would be a big plus. I don't know how their offerings have changed, but at one point they were also offering judo and wrestling, the latter of which is normally harder to find classes for as an adult if you have no experience.

Also AsianJedi is up in Nova still and he's a super nice guy, you can probably reach out to him and ask for his advice on gyms in the area.
    Yes, I'm still in Falls Church and that was the exact place I had in mind. Again, all signs point to "yes" for it being worthwhile but I don't know what I don't know when it comes to BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Yes, I'm still in Falls Church and that was the exact place I had in mind. Again, all signs point to "yes" for it being worthwhile but I don't know what I don't know when it comes to BJJ.
    Go train at 50/50 and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Anyone have thoughts on wrestling shoes? My feet sweat and traction gets tricky, plus I'm always worried about tearing toe nails sprawling no matter how closely I trim them.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Anybody have a recommendation for the lehigh valley in PA?

Anyone have thoughts on wrestling shoes? My feet sweat and traction gets tricky, plus I'm always worried about tearing toe nails sprawling no matter how closely I trim them.
    I think they’re not a thing anymore for grappling unless it’s a straight greco-roman wrestling situation. Grappling definitely calls for upping your nail trimming game!

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Anybody have a recommendation for the lehigh valley in PA?
    How far is that from Philadelphia?

I wore them to protect a broken heel for a bit after I was cleared to go back. I fucking hated them. If it’s the only way you can do it comfortably do what you gotta do, but not recommended by me unless you absolutely have to.

Site Supporter

RFI: Finding a Jiu Jitsu gym

I've been bitten by the jits bug again recently, and am looking to get back on the mat. So a question to the folks here: what would you consider a reasonable price for a membership to such gyms in an area where there's ample competition (I'm in the D/FW Metroplex)?

A lot of gyms that offer a myriad of training (BJJ, muay Thai, MMA, fitness, et cetera) will often try to push a "full" membership that would give unlimited access to everything they offer. One of those might go for around $180/month around here, which might be a good value for junkies, but feels a bit steep if you're just looking to wade into a class twice a week.
    In the DFW area your looking at a minimum of $150/mo. My gym cost $170.00/mo but if you pay for a year it drops to $108/mo. If you’re near Southlake come visit us at Lucky. We have mostly an over 30 group of practitioners. So, while we roll hard we’re not out to hurt each other.

If you’re closer to Corinth, check out Jiu-jitsu tech. Rob is a friend and I have gone to their Sunday open mat numerous times. I believe he charges appreciable less then most gyms in the area.

Last edited by Jackdog; 01-29-2019 at 09:30 PM.

User Tag List