Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Level 1 Pistol at The Range Complex

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can you add more detail to that?
    Sure! Great question. I enjoyed that point because it validated opinions I'd already formed.

While shooting very small dots or pasters at close range can be excellent trigger control exercises, they do not translate to the confidence of knowing where and how you can hit at 25 yards. In addition to the viscous unforgiving geometry of distance, there is the POI of one's sights, the precision of the pistol and ammo which just don't come into play at say 5 yards.

Also an example close range group was drawn on a target simulating a 5 shot group that with a good trigger press x 5 should have been say all in or touching the 1" paster. But one hit is out maybe 3/4". The point was made about how easy it is to think "oh I missed one by a little" whereas such an angular miss at 25 yards could be glaringly large enough that you say "oh shit" instead "missed by a little".

And also to reiterate, to instill the confidence that comes from knowing that you can hit at distance, not calculating what you should be able to.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Gotcha. I thought that's what it was about but didn't want to assume.

I see a similar thing in the rifle world: "I zeroed at 50 yards so I'm on at 200" or "I got my dope from Strelok/AB/JBM/whatever app" but neither ever (or hardly ever) shoots at those longer distances to confirm

User Tag List