Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI - medium cost 2-stage AR trigger?

RFI - medium cost 2-stage AR trigger?

I finally took the plunge and bought a lower receiver; a Sionics "gutless" lower. Am undecided on trigger choices. For a GI type trigger, my choices would be
    BCM, AlG ACT, or Sionics.
    A trusted friend strongly suggests I look at the Geissele SSA trigger, but I thought I'd see what the hive mind had to say. Frankly, it's a bit dear, and I have some other gun stuff to cover this Winter & Spring. Not looking for a 3-gun or precision setup right now. Need not be adjustable either, other than spring swaps. What do you AR enthusiasts like?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I finally took the plunge and bought a lower receiver; a Sionics "gutless" lower. Am undecided on trigger choices. For a GI type trigger, my choices would be
    BCM, AlG ACT, or Sionics.
    A trusted friend strongly suggests I look at the Geissele SSA trigger, but I thought I'd see what the hive mind had to say. Frankly, it's a bit dear, and I have some other gun stuff to cover this Winter & Spring. Not looking for a 3-gun or precision setup right now. Need not be adjustable either, other than spring swaps. What do you AR enthusiasts like?
    The ACT is decent, the BCM, SIONICS, SOLGW etc polished NP3 coated triggers are all copies of the ACT.

Geissele offers a G2S trigger which is a “budget” version of the SSA. it is basically an SSA which has not had the parts MPI tested.

Brownells also has some proprietary Geissele triggers made just fro Brownells which are also priced below the SSA.

If this is not a duty use gun the G2S and Brownells G triggers are great values.

For years, I have been satisfied with the ALG ACT. I thought it to be a very shootable trigger for a very reasonable price. When considering an SSA, I measured my ALG ACT and found that it broke at 4.5 lbs. I was thinking, the ACT is 4.5 lbs, the SSA is 4.5 lbs, there is no need to spend almost $200 on a trigger.

Then I got my hands on an SSA. Yes, it breaks at 4.5 lbs like the ACT but it is NOTHING like it. It's kind of like saying that Nancy Pelosi and Jessica Alba are both women so you'll never know the difference. My God, there is a difference! Now I'm saving up for the SSA.

Shut up. Buy once, cry once.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    I'm a fan of Geissele and use their SSA-E and G2S triggers, but I tried a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S on a budget build and like it a lot.
    They have reduced the price to $87 (with a couple week wait).

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

I recently tried a friends Larue MBT and thought it was nice. I haven't tried a Geisselle and can't compare.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-27-2019 at 09:28 PM.

The G2S is an excellent trigger. Wait for a holiday sale and you will find it for ~$120

ETA:. If you aren't doing precision work the G2S is probably overkill. An ACT or similar coated mil spec trigger will be fine for normal shooting tasks.

I like my G2S but I'm frequently shooting little targets out to 600 yards.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 01-27-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I recently tried a friends Larue MBT and thought it was nice. I haven't tried a Geisselle and can't compare.
    I have both, and from a “feel” perspective, the Geisselle is marginally better (as in barely slightly crisper on the second stage) really only when you compare them side by side. The $90 LaRue is definitely the better bargain.

Nonetheless, the best reason to go with the Geisselle is because you want something with a better established reputation of not breaking under heavy use than any other 2-stage trigger out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I am a fan of the G2S on my "precision" ARs.

If I was looking for a budget 2 stage, I'd strongly look at the Sionics enhanced 2 stage for $79 right now.

Geissele G2S. X2 on waiting for a sale
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List